How long will peppers keep/ and How to Keep

blazepepper(7b)June 27, 2007

Am growing Jalapenos and Sweet Banana Peppers this year. Looks like I'm going to have an awful lot of thim. My question, once I harvest peppers, how long will they keep, and what is the best method to do so. refridgerate? or not.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lvben

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers...

There's a lot of info around on the internet that tells you ways to store peppers. From what I hear, they'll only last a couple of weeks in the refridgerator if you don't preserve them somehow. The most preferred methods seem to be to pickle them (stick them in a jar of vinegar) or dry them out, but there are a couple of other options. I guess it just depends on how you want to use them in the future.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 5:53PM
michelliot(z7 ny)

I'm just finishing the batch that I grew two summers ago (habaneros and cayenne). I had them in the freezer all this time and they're fine. Don't expect the crunch of a fresh one, but I've been using them in salsas and sauces and my family is still around exclaiming how hot they still are.

They're definitely a good storage commodity.

Love em.

Be well,
Elliot

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 7:07PM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

I dry some, freeze some, and make a few pickles with the milder ones. As Elliot says the frozen ones get soft but are still great in recipes and easier to dice while aprtially frozen.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 8:28PM
blazepepper(7b)

So, If i wanted to store some jalapenos and make poppers or something in the winter, I can simply place them in a zip lock back, fresh of the plant, and place them in the freezer until I need them? Also, if peppers are harvested and will be used within a week or 2, should they be placed in the fridge or would they do better out on the counter top? thanks

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 9:21AM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

They will probably be too mush for something like poppers but you can get jalapenos all year at the grocery.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 10:56AM
lvben

Store bought poppers are always frozen... though, maybe you'd want to deseed them before you freeze them, so you don't have to thaw them out to deseed and stuff them.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 12:06PM
blazepepper(7b)

So, I guess my final question, If I want to take some fresh jalapenos with me to the beach, and might not use them until a week into my trip, is it ok to pick them at home and take along in a ziplock bag? if so, would this keep best in the fridge or in cooler?

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 3:37PM
bob_in_pc(z8 FL)

Make chipotle powder...

First, clean your ripe jalapenos. True chipotle is red, but I like some green also.

Slice lengthwise and de-seed

I put mine on my Weber kettle and smoke for about an hour and a half and then finish in a dehydrator.

Grind in a coffee grinder.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 9:21AM
newcity

Great pics and driections, Bob!

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 12:59PM
crabman957

How long will poppers keep ?

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 8:36PM
starfan_fr(6 NY)

I stuff with cream cheese and bacon and freeze mine and they keep for months.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™