Sacrificial Esthetics

earthlark(3b)March 1, 2014

Just curious if you guys think I'm make life a lot more difficult for myself doing a 50'x50' garden design like this rather than simple rows running east/west. Garden is in a field next to next to

I have there. This garden will be primarily a vegetable garden as well.

Shading is the biggest issue, right? I always wonder how much of an issue it is, though. Any other problems? (I'm thinking of using this garden as the other half of a 7 or 8-part crop rotation, this garden obviously consisting of 4 rotation areas.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthlark(3b)

Btw, black is soil and brown is where the paths are. I'd probably do corn and cucurbits in NW section, legumes in NE section, umbelliferae and allium in SE section, and possibly grains in SW section.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 11:54PM
mandolls(4)

This is the wrong forum to ask "if you are just making it difficult for your self". Most of the people who post here are as interested in the aesthetics of the garden as they are in the production, if not more so. It definitely takes more time and thought to make beauty than to just grow crops.

It seems to me, If the garden isn't somewhere where you are going to be able to see it easily from your windows or yard area, or spend time relaxing in it as well as working then it might be more trouble than its worth.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 8:31PM
lavender_lass(4b)

Have you considered taking out some of the paths and making bigger blocks on the north side, with smaller beds on the south side? This will give you room for your bigger plants (like corn and tomatoes) but still give you plenty of sun for your herbs and other small, sun lovers.

Are you planning to have any perennials, such as asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, etc.? That might make a difference, too. NIce plan, hope you post pictures :)

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:12PM
wynnho

I'd put stepping stones near or at those corners for the times you need to quickly get from one area to the next. It is a bit of a maze of a design.

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 8:45AM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

It seems pretty involved. At 50x50, I couldn't quite figure out how wide the pathways would be? I made the mistake of having them only a couple feet wide and it makes it difficult to haul compost/soil to refill beds each year. Also, what Mandolls said. Will it be visible?

Look around at different pictures here (if they are still here). Some start with a cute design and end up with a jungle! Or google pottage images to get some ideas of what the design will look like fully grown. NANCY

Bookmark   on Monday at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Would this be considered a Potager?
Hello! I'm new to gardening (this year) and someone...
LuvMyRazz
What flowers do you grow in your potager?
As I have mentioned ad infinitum already, I'm in the...
nycynthias
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
You can't have your salad and your design....
I love the look of veggie gardens, especially the potager...
t-bird
Wake UP everyone! Spring has sprung!
Well, I'm mostly planted up in the vege garden! My...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™