Any potagers in SFO bay area?

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)April 7, 2010

I'm starting my own potager in coastal RI and can't go ahead until my rototill/manure/fence guy shows up. So while I wait (it's still too cool here for anything but cool-weather veggies) I'll be taking a trip to the other coast: west-coast area around San Francisco. My trip is built around visiting rose gardens there, from Mendocino to Monterey; and I've allowed enough extra days to see other kinds of gardens as well.

Are there gardeners out there with potagers who would let me see what they've accomplished? Or historic gardens with kitchen beds? I realize the climate is so terrific there, and the fruits & veggies for sale so fresh, maybe people don't have their own fenced kitchen gardens in the Bay Area? Please let me know if I can briefly visit. I'll be in the Bay Area with rented car from April 16 to May 2.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I'm just north of SF in Santa Rosa. Our last day of frost isn't til April 15th, so we're just getting stuff ready (besides, I'm just in the process of transforming my garden from just a vege garden to a pottager)
I highly recommend that you visit Kendall Jackson Winery, just north of Santa Rosa!
They have the most FABULOUS gardens! Vege/herb/flower/etc and the chefs are in on all that is planted in the gardens cause they cook seasonally from them!
DH and I were lucky enough to be docents (we followed the guides around and kept people on the path and pointed out plants/herbs etc) Last year at their tomato festival! Just FAB!!!!!!
Gosh! It's just a pinch too early to find a lot in the area, but you might ask at a Sonoma County group (they won't let me add a link) It has to do with a garden exchange, if this helps. NT

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

Thanks, NT. I looked up the winery and could drive to it easily from one of my other stops (roses, not potagers). Too bad I don't drink alcohol!

Can you give me a clue about a Sonoma County forum to ask? There are lots of exchanges (plant, info etc.) in the Gardenweb forums but no forum called "Sonoma".

Carol

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Dog yard....sigh
Well, after taking an early retirement, I thought WooHoo,...
nancyjane_gardener
can I use my pine needles for mulch
I have such a mess of pine needles in my yard that...
tracydr
I don't understand?????
Why this forum has gone to the dogs! I'm not able to...
nancyjane_gardener
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
Rethinking a Peter Rabbit Garden...X-post
So, I've finally got all the plants on the porch into...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Wood Wooden Lamp: 30.75 in. Wood Table Lamp, Walnut 2012W
$81.58 | Home Depot
Alyssa Shower Curtain
$135.00 | FRONTGATE
Eurostyle Gunar Pro High Back Office Chair in Brown Leatherette
Beyond Stores
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Amherst Wheat/Beige 5 ft. x 8
Home Depot
TMNT Michelangelo Apron
$14.99 | zulily