Just want to say hello and introduce myself

juliegardens247April 9, 2010

Hi everyone! I've been gardening off and on for quite a few years with different interests and emphasis. I live in a small house on a small lot in the burbs. It definitely feels like a cottage. But I have learned to make use of the small spaces I have and through trial and error I have found what works in the little microclimates of my garden spaces around the house. This year I have "reclaimed" the potentially best space I have which is my south facing side and until recently has been a paved RV pad. However, we have never owned an RV. Dear husband does not have the same vision as I do for taking out the concrete, but after showing him what square foot gardening is all about, he has built me my first raised bed with promises of at least two more before the summer. I'm already enjoying my lettuce harvests. This may all be above ground and in containers and raised beds but I do believe I can create the look and feel of a potager before too long.

I'm envisioning a layout of several raised bed boxes, a variety of dwarf citrus trees in containers, vines and/or espaliers going up the tall fence, containers of things on wheels which can be moved and adjust as conditions change, a gas fire pit with seats that can be brought around, and strung white lights criss crossing overhead between house and fence. In the summer the best time to be on this side of the house is before 8am and after 8pm. If this plan works (and I know it will) I will have made user friendly a large portion of my small 6000 square foot lot.

I'm buying a camera at CostCo today so I'll be able to share pictures of my progress. I look forward to getting to know people here on this forum. I've already gained so much inspiration from the pictures many people have posted.

Julie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catalinagrey(MN 3/4)

WOW! That sounds like an amazing plan! Can't wait to see pics! :)

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 12:17PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

Good luck Julie. I have just started on mine, and dealing with a skeptical husband. I know how you fell. Just wait till he starts getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Tammy

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 12:52PM
lavender_lass(4b)

Julie- Your garden sounds wonderful! In your zone you can grow so many beautiful fruits and flowers that we can only dream of here. Do you plan to have any jasmine? I would love to grow jasmine and orange trees in my potager :)

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 1:19PM
juliegardens247

Thanks everyone!

Jasmine is really easy here, both star and pink. Pink jasmine is about ready to bloom. Star jasmine blooms more in May and June. The star would be great going up on the fence side because it is shadier there. I'll have to use that idea!

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 1:25PM
ali-b

Just think, you won't have to worry about wild onion and other annoying weeds popping up in your garden paths. Sounds neat. The citrus will probably like all the reflected heat.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
What do you do in your fall/winter garden?
I'm in N california, just north of San Francisco in...
nancyjane_gardener
What flowers do you grow in your potager?
As I have mentioned ad infinitum already, I'm in the...
nycynthias
I don't understand?????
Why this forum has gone to the dogs! I'm not able to...
nancyjane_gardener
Ideas for Potager Paths and Borders
This is my potager setup. The red areas are brick walks....
riverfarm
Who's still here?
I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Dang 2 Door/2 Drawer Console by Blu Dot
$2,199.00 | Lumens
Hand-Woven Eco Natural Fiber Jute Cotton Bordered Casual Area Rug-(8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Stacy Garcia Pearl Leaf Peacock Ava Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Stacy Garcia Pearl Leaf Peacock Balance Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
VWW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Dimond D1711 Lauren Table Lamp - D1711
$170.00 | Hayneedle
SW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Smart Cool Pad & Pillow Cover