Daisy Fleabane

joebryant(zone 5 Indiana)May 26, 2004

My field is loaded with daisy fleabane that I did not plant in 2002. I'm supposed to have 33 varieties of wildflowers with little bluestem (blaze) to really take off this year (2004). Last year all I had was crabgrass that I had to mow and mow. Now this year, so far in May, I see very few little bluestem, some coreopsis and indian blanket, but millions of daisy fleabane that I did not plant seeds for. i.e., they're everywhere, and I have no idea how they got so thick; it looks like I planted a ton of seeds for them. This was originally a one-acre field of fescue. Will my little bluestem and other flowers survive in this type of jungle?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veronicastrum(z5 IL)

Yep! there's a term for Daisy Fleabane and other similar palnts that I am blanking on right now, but it will come in in huge numbers for just a year. You'll still have some next year but you will be surprised how much the numbers drop off. It won't harm the other plants that you're trying to grow.

V.

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 10:45AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

It might help to cut everything back so as to get more light to the smaller plants. That would also remove the flowers and reduce the amount of seed the fleabane produces.

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 4:12PM
Furpaws(z6 SE Michigan)

The word is: Biennial

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 11:48AM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

Also, opportunistic. Remember the movie Field of Dreams? If you build it, they will come! Linda

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 4:50PM
Rosa(4ish CO Rockie)

Early seral stage plants will give way to native perennials as they establish, competition for light/water/nutrients is increased in the favor of natives and disturbance is reduced. Same with ironweed (kochia) and russian thistle (salsola).

Daisy fleabane (Erigeron annuus) is most often a winter annual but will behave as a true biennial in some areas.

Agree with mowing to reduce seed population and reduce competition in favor of natives.

Bookmark   May 29, 2004 at 9:40AM
goshawker(z4WI)

If you can, set it on fire next spring or this fall. You will be amazed at how it sets back the cool season weeds and grasses and gives the warm season natives a huge advantage. It really takes three good years of mowing and burning to break the non-native weed cycle and for your natives to get mature enough to make a run at going to seed with gusto. Don't worry about the daisy fleabane, it will be less next year especially if you mow it before it sets seed.

Steve

Bookmark   June 2, 2004 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
Too late to sow grass seeds now?
I have planted an area with prairie grasses and forbs....
mdahms1979
Burn time approaches
Anyone planning on burning their 'prairie' off ? I...
dbarron
establishing a prairie garden - strawberries
I'm converting my lawn to prairie plants and used a...
mill1154
My Prairie Lawn in Oklahoma
Just wanted to share a shot I took today of my little...
TexasRanger10
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™