new planting

juliebw(z5 NY)May 15, 2005

With a group I planted a seed mix last fall after preparing the site last summer: cardboard topped with leaf mold, removed weeds, planted in mid October using a mix from Wild Seed Farms. Right now I have seen only two kinds of seedlings: annual bachelor's buttons, and lots of something unfamiliar to me. Shouldn't I be seeing a greater variety of seedlings at this time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

No..not really.
I sowed my small area in November of 2003 and I didn't see much except a few annual Coreopsis,about 3 small perennial type Coreopsis, Black-eyed Susans, some grasses,and Blue flax by June/July 2004...In August I started seeing lots more that had started coming up like Blanket Flower, Dotted Mint, and many more seedlings that were just slow to show. This spring (2005) is exploding in new plants that didn't germ year 1 and way more grasses are evident. It's definatley not something to expect fast results when doing a wildflower planting (on any scale) unless you spend lots of money and put in plants!! I'm learning patience and it really fun to go out there and see what's new...right now the only thing I see knew is a gazillion Spittle Bugs on my plants LOL! Little buggers anyways :)The Ladybugs are hangin out and I hope there getting fat.

Vera

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 7:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Just re-read your post...Batchelor's Buttons are non native exotics...very heavy seeders and ivasive. Here they are being decided on whether or not to add to the Noxious weed watch list. It freely grows in waist places, road sides, hillsides, and just about any crack or crevice with some dirt it can find! The empty weedy acre or so lot across from us is filled with them...not completely but close...all escapees from my neighbor!

Vera

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
Gray-headed Coneflower misgivings
Hi, does anyone have experience with growing Gray-headed...
Wildflowergma
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
Growing wildflower/grass/sedge seedlings in trays before planting
Hi, I intend to grow 100 different species of native...
njbiology
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™