mystery plant

weegz4caMay 22, 2004

got a western wildflower mix from applewood farms last spring.mid summer i had a beautiful bed of many annuals,and some perrenials.from what i gather after the first year you might get new perrenials that did not show themselves in the first year of germination.my question is-when things first started to appear there was something that looked alot like a dandilion.im thinking oh poop,im going to have a lot of weeding to do.however its now close to the summer solstice and these dandilion looking plants have grown in some cases a foot tall and their leaves,instead of being broad-leafspikey,are about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide and have none of the shape one would ordinarily attribute to a dandilion.im thinking this is one of the second year perrenials--or the weed from hell.

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,weeg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

I have something like you are describing growing in my area I sowed last fall....I have dandelions in the lawn that shoot up their dandilions long before the leaves get that long! Sooo I'm going let it go and see what happens :)
Are the inner-most center leaves fringy'er looking?

Vera

Bookmark   May 23, 2004 at 11:10AM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Are the leaves fuzzy? If they are, sounds maybe like hawkweed or King Devil, neither of which you want!

Bookmark   May 25, 2004 at 2:10PM
weegz4ca

vera,ahughes,
thank you for your responses-no vera, the innermost leaves are not fringery looking.and no ahughes-either are the leaves fuzzy(i think i might have what you term hawkweed or king devil in there-gotta love those names despite their possible negatives).i have recently discovered lateral shoots emerging from them,i am almost positive they are a perenial showing its face in the second year.i might be mistaken.it looks like withen the next few weeks they may blossem in which case i will be mucho happy as there are soooo many of them.if and when this occures i should be able to easily identify them-with the help of the seed dealer from which they came-and post my happy discovery that my unfounded worries were the result of a relative newbie doing a little unwarranted stressing.LOL.
once again thanks for your responses,
weeg

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 10:30PM
weegz4ca

it was an evening primrose.in my opinion not the most desirable flower in the world--but heck--its green.

Bookmark   June 30, 2004 at 6:54PM
Havenheart(WV 7a)

Look on the Hort database at tragapodon pratensis, or goat's beard or meadow salsify. Is this your plant? It grew wild in Wisconsin where I once lived. It has an edible root, and there is a cultivated vegetable form called salsify or oyster plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: meadow salsify; goat's beard

Bookmark   July 4, 2004 at 5:54PM
weegz4ca

havenheart,
thanks for your response-yea this is definitly primrose-however its interesting you bring up salsify.native to my neck of the woods.an extremely drought tolerent-hardy flower that probably doesnt get its fair share of attention.
thanks again for your response--weeg

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
Trumpet vine??
Me again! Can anyone tell me the best way to take a...
Kim.MI - 5
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Need recommendations
Hi, Could someone give me an idea of which species...
adidas
establishing a prairie garden - strawberries
I'm converting my lawn to prairie plants and used a...
mill1154
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™