Planting tomatoes with cornflowers?

beccalin(5 Chicago)April 26, 2009

Hello all...

I just found this site and hope somebody can give me some guidance. My veggie garden does not get full sun since I have lots of trees around the house except for corner by the street. A few years back, I had added a low maintenance flower bed with echinachea, rudebekia, russian sage... I would like to try plannting tomatoes and bell peppers this season to see if I can get better yield. Please advise if I am going way off path since the water requirements would be different...

Becky

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmpete(5A)

from Nebraska...
I have tomatoes and echinachea in fairly close proximity in my garden. The tomatoes I mulch with grass clippings and water on a daily basis in the summer. The echinachea I don't.
The main thing for the tomatoes I think would be getting them enough sun and making sure that you water them more often. The peppers may not need quite as much water, but I mulch them the same as the tomatoes. Nothing better than home grown tomatoes! Give it a try.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 12:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beccalin(5 Chicago)

Jmpete...

thanks for getting back to me...I will give it a try and will see how I can work out my drip system so that the water gets more water.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
New garden design!
It looks like we'll be moving, so I'm looking forward...
lavender_lass
Dog yard....sigh
Well, after taking an early retirement, I thought WooHoo,...
nancyjane_gardener
Formally, Informal English Garden (edible)
I wonder if our edible front garden fits, here... List...
wbonesteel
What do you do in your fall/winter garden?
I'm in N california, just north of San Francisco in...
nancyjane_gardener
What would you want in a potting bench?
DH is an out of work wood carver and we have fortunately...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™