Converting pipeline easement to wildflower meadow?

sgb235May 11, 2013

I live adjacent to a two acre gas pipeline easement, primarily covered in some kind of coarse-bladed grass. The owners are fine with me mowing the lot (which I do regularly now), but tilling would be out of the question. They'll mow once a year no matter what to prevent woody matter from growing.

I've been wondering if I could convert the lot to a wildflower meadow with well-timed mowing (I can set my blade up to 4") and a lot of wildflower seed. I realize that I would have a very low seed conversion rate, but if I kept at it year after year would I have a chance of success?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

You'd have better success if you did it in sections and smothered the grass with cardboard and some sort of mulch to give the seedlings a better fighting chance. Or you could consider herbicides if you're in a hurry. My sister has also used old pieces of carpet to smother weeds. I love the idea. Good luck.

Martha

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 5:51AM
sgb235

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with multiple applications of roundup for this year with some more careful planning for next year.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 1:19PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Do you know when your mowing will take place? I like to have things mown in the late fall or late winter (although this isn't the best thing for wildlife) and then not mow again until July or so. This timing isn't great for fall blooming native plants, but keeps the grasses under control and looks neater imo. I'm trying to avoid having goldenrod take over.
Most of the later plants like bluestems and asters come up again and bloom normally, just a bit later and shorter.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
My California Wildflower meadow
In mid winter I cut out some grass near my front yard...
nickrosesn
Burn time approaches
Anyone planning on burning their 'prairie' off ? I...
dbarron
Walnut / Black Walnut Trees
I am considering purchasing a 5-acre property with...
Blake
establishing a prairie garden - strawberries
I'm converting my lawn to prairie plants and used a...
mill1154
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™