Small clumping palm suggestions?

alby(10b)December 20, 2006

Hello- I am looking for a small clumping palm to be used as a privacy screen in full sun. They'll be under utility lines so they need to be under 20' or so. Someone on a local radio show keeps insisting that bamboo palm, chamaedorea siefritzii, can be full sun, but I'm reluctant to try that. Don't want to spend alot of time growing them only to find that they lanquish in full sun. Although the look of that palm would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

The chamaedorea that can take the most sun is plumosa, but it is solitary, not suckering, though the height would fit your needs.

Have you considered Dypsis lutescens? My understanding is it's commonly used for screening in Florida, grows very well there, is suckering or clumping, and fits your height requirements. Also relatively inexpensive and readily available.

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 1:10PM
topher2006

Hi here is a link that may help check it out ....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.junglemusic.net/palms/

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 2:30PM
birdinthepalm

I sometimes think reading various sites and descriptions of various palms on various web sites, that some folks call any palm a "clumping" palm , when two or more are planted close togehter , whether they produce offsets to be natural clumpers or are just planted that way intentionally. At any rate I sometimes wonder how long those clumpers take to grow a very nice clump from a single plant , from the time the first one is planted?? The reason I ask , is because I'm thinking of starting a Rhapis multifida in a container , but do want it to fill out quickly, or would it be wiser to plant two or more from the beginning for a fuller look?

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 7:14PM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

Needle palm would be a good choice I would think.

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Help! What is wrong with my Windmill Palm?
My windmill palm is approximately 6 yrs old. Today...
lulupalooza06
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™