transplanting lupines

susan426June 24, 2002

I have transplanted some wild lupines and they don't look great, are rather droopy - it's only been a few days but i am wondering if they need water or are overwatered, or if they just don't take well to transplanitng. Is there anything I should do differently next time? they grow everywhere where I am (Maine) and I would love more in my yard. i dug them out of some sandy soil and when I pulled them up the soil came off so I only had roots to transplant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
froggy(z4/5 WI)

lupine grow from seed so easily that i dont transplant them.
also they do need bacteria and u may not have it in your soil and it might take them a while to find it. also they are very iffy to begin with when transplanting, being soft stemmed.
collect the seed and plant it fresh and u will have more than u know what to do with in a short time.
froggy

Bookmark   June 25, 2002 at 7:56AM
kiahjk

I transplanted a large plant from my front yard to my back yard a few weeks ago, and it looked very sad for awhile. It seems to be coming out of it, though. I'm keeping it watered. Most of the perennials I've been moving around my yard go through a period of transplant shock, but most of them do come out of it and survive : )

Bookmark   June 25, 2002 at 9:33AM
rod_95(5 se WI)

How has your Lupine responded? After a couple of weeks of waiting, do you think they're going to make it?

I'd like to do the same.

Bookmark   July 12, 2002 at 5:32PM
catrina

The grow very easily from seed. You can transplant very small seedlings, but you are best leaving mature plants alone.

Bookmark   May 29, 2003 at 10:18AM
mina(Z5 Chicago)

I have also heard that lupines do not transplant well. I put some seed down in early May and I already have baby lupines coming up.

Laura

Bookmark   May 29, 2003 at 10:29AM
countrycotton

Does a lupine plant bloom each year? Someone told me that they don't

Bookmark   June 3, 2003 at 8:36AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Many lupines are annuals. I think what people call wild lupine is Lupinus perennis. It is a blue flowered perennial of sandy soils.

Bookmark   June 3, 2003 at 7:05PM
johnp(z4 mn/wi)

My lupinus perennis are short-lived - 2-4 years - but there are always a couple new plants - self seeded in odd places - to replace the ones that die. I've got a stunning one blooming right now in rocks alongside my garage.

Bookmark   June 3, 2003 at 10:27PM
auntiedonna2(z5MA)

Hi All, I am not sure if I should be posting to a question this old, but...
I have had very good success with very small seedling plants. The seed pods self sow in my yard so I just go around dig them up when they are about 2-3 inches high and plant where ever I want.
If it is very immature plant I have great luck, however, if the plant is from a previous year and a small size the root system is larger and goes into shock.

Bookmark   June 12, 2004 at 11:41AM
Kristen Hallock

I have more lupines than I know what to do with at my house. They multiply like rabbits it seems. I think they come back every year. Anyways, I have the heaviest clay soil known to man, so they do not just like sandy soils!

Bookmark   June 14, 2004 at 9:49AM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

Yeah, I tried to transplant my lups this year with zero success. They were all started from seeds about 4 yrs ago, bloomed the second year, and have put on a wonderful show ever since. In fact, they are taking over a strip of bedding around my patio that is about 7' wide by 13' long.
S'Ok with me! I love lupines!
Anyway, I will scatter seeds this year in the area I want more lups. Here's hoping that I'll see fully blooming ones in two years.

Bookmark   June 18, 2004 at 9:56AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Here in Michigan, the native, wild lupines are normally found in sandy areas. My sister tried to grow seedlings that I started for her (Wintersown) and they didn't do well in her rich, moist soil. Mine have done well and reseeded in my sandy soil. I just transplanted several year-old plants from my previous garden to my new yard. Only one looked pretty droopy, but it seems to have perked up and I'm hoping they'll still bloom this year. I'm starting a "purple" themed garden and I'm hoping lupines will provide some appropriate early season color.

Good Luck!

Martha

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Sunflower meadow question
We're in mid-Tennessee. We have a meadow in which we'd...
arleneb
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
Central Texas Grassland restoration Blog
This Blog Is really pretty good and interesting. Jill...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
Sponsored Products
DeWit Transplanter - 31-1110
$35.99 | Hayneedle
Worth Transplant Spade with Plastic-Steel Handle - W2253
$33.98 | Hayneedle
Trans Globe 4189 Pole Lantern - 22W in. - 4189 WH
$321.10 | Hayneedle
Gardman Walk-In 4 x 6 ft. Greenhouse with Shelving - 7622
$74.99 | Hayneedle
Trellis Deluxe Garden Tools Tote
$49.99 | zulily