Wake UP everyone! Spring has sprung!

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)May 11, 2014

Well, I'm mostly planted up in the vege garden!
My daughters usually take me on an all you want flower buying trip for Mother's day, but I'm taking off to Hawaii for 2 weeks in a couple of weeks.....SO we'll put that off til we get back so THEY will have less to water while we're gone!
I was going to start actually landscaping our front yard (which is actually horse field type), but gave up when our daughter brought home a lab x pup! He digs everywhere and shows up with logs and toys from our dog that died 3 years ago! He shreds the logs in our living room, but keeps the squeaky toys intact!
We have re-done the herb garden to help get rid of some of the nasturtium, but are already having to pull it by the hand full to keep it in check!
How's your spring going? Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
photogirl11

I've only just planted my veggies. I'm in my first house with my first garden so I'm trying to figure out what's even in my garden. What to keep what to add. We made raised beds and put in sprinklers and made bean pole tips with our overgrown apple tree branches. I'm putting up an archway this week to grow tomatoes and squash on. It Will be made with rebar. Do you think it will be fine if the rows for the arch are one on the doth and one on north or will be too shaded to grow like that? I'm then thinking I'll use the arch to cover for winter garden hoop house. Thoughts? I'm new to all gardening so I'm probly making so e mistakes but I don't know!!! I live this!

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:38AM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I thought I answered this on another forum, but it was about green beans?
Tomatoes and squash, though... my tomatoes will get about 6-7 ft tall, so they could be tied to an arch, but my squash doesn't usually vine until late fall (maybe it's a bush type, or maybe it just takes longer here????) I'm just not seeing tomatoes or squash an archway type vege.
BUT! I'm in the west where it's slow and steady wins the race! I garden into November most years!
Happy gardening! Nancy

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 1:47AM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Don't know where you are, but in a lot of humid areas, it's not the best idea to use sprinklers. The plants stay damp and get diseases.
Either soaker hoses or drip irrigation are the best bets.
I normally run soaker hoses, but didn't have time this year. Drip doesn't work for me cause I have a well with a lot of drip clogging minerals. I find hand watering to be good therapy . Nancy

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
Potato boxes
Not sure if this is the best site ... But ... If not...
Crawfordjohn66
Material for pathways?
Hi! I have a new home and am working on my first pottager...
photogirl11
Snowy Potager
The potager looks lovely with a layer of snow on it. The...
wyndyacre
Dog yard....sigh
Well, after taking an early retirement, I thought WooHoo,...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™