Wildflower/prairie garden in my ditch?

ptilda(3/4)July 18, 2009

Our land is off of a blacktop country road. Only requirement in the ditch area is that it can't have any large trees (or the county will come & cut them to avoid forest-fire danger). Other than that, anything goes & I've seen all sorts of ideas. Quite honestly, I've announced my official refusal to mow this rough area anymore, and I have no intention on taking special care of it.

The ditch butts up against a fairly heavily wooded area (cleared of brush, and a combination of mowed weeds (no grass to speak of) and shade gardens that are gradually increasing). My intention is to make a sort of rock wall at the top of the ditch, and let everything between the wall and the road go wild... with a little help. We have a lot of wild flowers, including lupin, daisy, yarrow, black-eyed-susan, and a lot of other standards. I'm also thinking of adding some other flowers. There are no other yards within several hundred feet, so there's little concern about the seeds traveling to the neighbor's yards.

Other ideas I have include colored yarrow, coneflowers, poppies, phlox (also grows wild here). Any input?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ptilda(3/4)

Forgot to mention, my technique for planting this area is going to be:

1. take an established plant (I dont' do so well with seeds).
2. dig a hole in the ditch
3. fill hole with compost or other organic soil amendment
4. pop plant in hole, water, mulch (maybe)
5. pray
6. repeat in 3-4 other locations of the ditch.

If I get some good seed, I might throw it out there, but I'm mostly interested in putting plants in, since I feel like my chances are better of having SOME plants come up. They are going to have to fight with the existing wild flowers, weeds, grasses & some moss that's out there anyhow.

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 3:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

It would help if you said what state you live in and the type of soil in your ditch. Is it sandy or clay? Is it wet or mostly dry? Is it part shade or sun? Also, do you care if the plants are North American natives or not? Coloured yarrow, most large poppies, and so-called "wild" phlox (really hesperis matronalis) are not true US natives. Rudbeckia, echinacea, many types of native asters, goldenrod, vernonia, coreopsis, helianthus are only a few suggestions for showy, low maintenance native plants. Check on the net or in person for some nurseries in your state that feature native plants and that way you will know what plants grow best in your region.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
Walnut / Black Walnut Trees
I am considering purchasing a 5-acre property with...
Blake
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
Trumpet Vines
i have a trumpet vine and it is very healthy but i...
Eric Harvilicz - PA
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Lamps Garden 27 in. Green Lattice Table Lamp (Set of 2) LIT4134F-SET2
Home Depot
Alfresco Home Charter Stackable Sling Chaise Lounge - Set of 2 - 22-1331
$973.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Natural/Brown 8 ft. x
Home Depot
Campania International Scraps The Dragon Cast Stone Garden Statue - S-370-AL
$84.99 | Hayneedle
Black & Green Comfort Flex Kneepads
$22.99 | zulily