My Potager Layout - do you think this will do?

spottedhorsegal(6)May 3, 2012

Hello,

After a few years of different garden layouts and trying to thwart the pocket gophers, I have determined that raised beds and a potager - style layout is my best solution.

My garden area is about 62' x 52'. The asparagus bed and the blackberry bushes cannot be moved easily, so I have attempted to plan around them.

The little creek running from south to north was added to the garden this year to better direct irrigation overflow.

My desire is for the garden to be beautiful and functional. Many of the beds are 3' wide; I had tried to make them 4' but I couldn't make it work with the overall dimensions and the symmetry I was trying to employ. I have a mixture of 3' and 4' paths.

Any input on the design below is welcome!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

It looks lovely. I actually would prefer my beds to be 3 feet deep. When purchasing things such as row covers and perforated plastic, it seems that they fit the beds that are 3 feet wide much better. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 4:57PM
lavender_lass(4b)

Wow! Amazing garden plan...I'm looking forward to seeing pictures, especially of your cattle panels with blackberries and trumpet vine! The little bridge is great, too. Very nice plan :)

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 8:37PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

That's quite a project! Can't wait to see photos.

You may want to reconsider the trumpet vine. It can be very invasive. Before I knew that I bought one and kept it in a pot in one of my garden paths over the winter trying to decide where to plant it. I'm SO grateful I never did. By the time I realized what a thug it could be it had already put out roots far beyond the pot and they weren't east to dig up.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 11:22AM
ali-b

What a great plan! You have so many different beds that will make crop rotation much easier. I can't wait to see some pictures too.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 7:56PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I agree on the trumpet vine! DH dug and dug that thing and it still came back!
They are very pretty if they are in full sun and in an out of the way area that you don't want invaded. Just my $.02. Nancy

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
Would this be considered a Potager?
Hello! I'm new to gardening (this year) and someone...
LuvMyRazz
attractive bean support
Hello. I am planning my garden and I would like to...
timothina
Who's still here?
I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we...
lavender_lass
New potager er
I'm laying the final pathways on my potager garden.......
lorabell NC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™