spotted knapweed kills other plants?

altoraMA(5/6 MA)July 31, 2004

I just saw a post on this on another forum from back in Feb. Does anyone know if spotted knapweed (some type of centaurea)emits a chemical that kills the other plants around it? Would this apply to perennial Bachelor Button as well?

Thanks!

Alida

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahughes798(z5 IL)

I hadn't heard of plants in the bachelor's button family being alleopathic....I have cosmos growing right into my bachelors buttons, and the cosmos seems none the worse for wear.

Bookmark   July 31, 2004 at 2:19PM
northeastwisc(4)

The link below has some info on how Spotted Knapweed affects other plants:

Here is a link that might be useful: Spotted Knapweed

Bookmark   August 1, 2004 at 12:46AM
Rosa(4ish CO Rockie)

Yes some members of the Centaurea family are highly alleopathic. Those would be the knapweeds.

If it does contain the same chemical, it's not in the quatity that is of any consequence. At least not that anyone has studied. While bachelors buttons are certainly notorious for reseeding well, it's no thug like the knapweeds, lol!!

Here is a link that might be useful: knapweed article

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 7:32AM
Posie(z3 MN)

Spotted Knapweed easily takes over an area. This summer I've noticed that people are not mowing areas infested when the plant is flowering as it is rather attractive. BUT BEWARE!!!!! It will reseed and take over. Minnesota is attempting to have it listed as a noxious weed or at least some counties are. But that is a long drawn out process.

Bookmark   August 4, 2004 at 11:29PM
Rosa(4ish CO Rockie)

It also spreads by its prolific underground root system

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 7:00AM
keweenaw_gal(z3 MI)

This is a hateful plant! Here on the shores of Lake Superior we are battling with it. It has crowded out all our native wildflowers on the roadsides and lines the edges of our lakes. I dig it out and also use round-up. I have had success on my property but more seed keeps blowing in. I am patrolling for it every day. If you see it...get rid of it!

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 9:49AM
mwbeall(IN5 E tallgrassregion)

keewenaw gal: Keep up the good work! I love the Lake and am disturbed to seed this infestation. Down here in Indiana, we are losing ground with Garlic Mustard and Amur Honeysuckle (introduced, btw by the Indiana DNR, some 20 years ago (always like to give them credit fo including it in their "Wildlife Packet!"); it's all over the place and in State parks here. Please people, DON'T spread invasive, non-native species!!!!

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Growing wildflower/grass/sedge seedlings in trays before planting
Hi, I intend to grow 100 different species of native...
njbiology
My California Wildflower meadow
In mid winter I cut out some grass near my front yard...
nickrosesn
establishing a prairie garden - QUACKgrass
I've started converting my lawn to a prairie with the...
mill1154
Weed or Native Forb?
Thanks for your help. A number of these in our young...
whallyden
Sunflower meadow question
We're in mid-Tennessee. We have a meadow in which we'd...
arleneb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™