wet meadow question

Bellingham(z8 WA)July 18, 2011

I have a 1/2 acre area that is already close to what I want, but it's infested with both tall and creeping buttercup. I say "close to what I want" because it is also filled with rushes that I would like to keep (mostly common rush, Juncus effusus, but also a couple other varieties). I would like to get rid of most of the buttercup so that I can plant grasses and some wildflowers. I don't expect to eradicate the buttercup, but I want to reduce it enough to give the grasses a chance to get going. I'm wondering what the best approach is.

I would be willing to do an initial broadleaf herbicide application, but I can't seem to find information about whether something is available that would not harm the rushes. Is there something? Another option is to attempt to apply glyphosate (sponge, saturated glove, spray with shield). Of course, there is mechanical removal, but this is a half acre, and it's just me...and I would like to try for planting grasses this fall.

Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

I would remove the plants you want to save and then plow the entire acreage under and let it all rot for a week and then plow again. You could also rake the lot when it is dry. The rushes could be held in pots and kept watered. They generally transplant well.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 3:00AM
More Discussions
Walnut / Black Walnut Trees
I am considering purchasing a 5-acre property with...
Blake
My Prairie Lawn in Oklahoma
Just wanted to share a shot I took today of my little...
TexasRanger10
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
establishing a prairie garden - strawberries
I'm converting my lawn to prairie plants and used a...
mill1154
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™