Introducing Myself!

ccoupkir(z5 Il)July 6, 2006

Hi everyone, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to this forum. I am very active on the Winter Sowing forum but would also like to become active here as well. I recently started a 1600 sq ft native praire in my back yard so I'll be bugging everyone with questions over the next few years. Hope it won't be too annoying!

I used the lasagna method of smothering last spring to start the area so weed problems have been very minimal. I won't be able to burn but plan on mowing once it is more established.

I have been using all the info at The Prairie Nursery site since it is applicable to my area (DuPage County outside of Chicago).

I am trying to stick with plants that are native to my county but have included some that are native to northern Il/southeastern Wisc. as well. My prairie could actually be referred to as an Oak savanna as I have 7 100' Oak trees in my yard. I have a small list of plants that are native only to Oak savannas so if anyone has more info on this type of prairie, please clue me in!

So, here I am. Hope to learn tons from all of you in the near and not so near future!

Cheryl ::]

(ccoupkir)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Well hello there Cheryl :D

Vera

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 9:28AM
willameadows

Hi Cheryl!
I'm new to this site as well. I am preparing to establish a small camas meadow in my backyard (Predominately Camassia quamash, Pacific NW native lily), so I will also be asking for advice. My biggest challenge is my husband, whose definition of a landscape is a large green lawn bordered by a few shrubs. Personally I would like to eliminate the lawn altogether. Our kids are grown so we don't need a soccer field! We live in a small town in western Oregon, in a 100 year old house on a large lot. I would really love to maximize the beauty and usefulness of our small corner of the world with plants that don't require an exorbitant amount of water (nonexistant here in the summer), fertilizer, pesticide, etc. I would also like to include more edible plants in the landscape. Camas produces an edible bulb (not that I would ever eat it...) and is historically very significant, as it was an important food plant for indigenous people. The bulbs were even used as a form of currency for trading. I purchased some seed a couple years ago, not thinking that I would get many to germinate, as I didn't know much about it, and now I have several thousand bulbs. Enough for a meadow! Although they won't bloom for a couple years. If anyone can tell me what companion plants would have been found in a camas meadow in the Willamette valley, I would love to find out. I know of Deschampsia caespitosa, but that's about it (have some seedlings of that one).

Good luck with your prairie, Cheryl. We moved here to Oregon from Illinois several years ago, but I wasn't much into native gardening when I lived there so am not familiar with Illinois native plants.

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 10:56PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Bottlebrush grass would look really nice in your savannah. Welcome. Whereabouts in IL did you live? April

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 11:10PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

A few websites for us Illinois native plant people.

I just found this site and it has great pictures.
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/

and the old stand by:
http://www.il.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/plants/npg/index.html

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
Globe Thistle Bare Root. Which end is up??? Help!
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this...
newbud_2010
Need recommendations
Hi, Could someone give me an idea of which species...
adidas
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™