Butterfly weed

froghollowJuly 18, 2003

The butterfly weed, Asclepias tuberosa, didn't come back this year. Too wet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnp(z4 mn/wi)

Too wet is a good guess, especially if the soil isn't very well drained (i.e., sandy).

Bookmark   July 20, 2003 at 1:12PM
froghollow

It's not sandy but clay. I just noticed this a.m., after a week of vacation, that a field that normally is full of butterfly weed has only 2 or 3 plants this year and they are right on the edge of the field, by the road, in an area that is elevated and therefore probably has better drainage.

Bookmark   July 28, 2003 at 7:29AM
Bloomingthings(Z4 WI)

If it's along side the road I wonder if they were either sprayed or mowed by your township.

Bookmark   July 28, 2003 at 4:34PM
jcsgreenthumb(6b)

Hi,

I believe Prairie Moon Nursery has a variety of butterfly weed for clay.

Jeanne

Bookmark   July 28, 2003 at 5:57PM
john_mo(z5/6)

I think Jeanne may be thinking of Prairie Nursery, which offers a 'butterflyweed for clay' -- or perhaps both sources have a similar offering.

Here is a link that might be useful: prairie nursery

Bookmark   July 30, 2003 at 11:23AM
dandra_t

My soil is also clay. I've found I can grow butterfly weed if I fork in perlite and sand. I also loosen up the soil and put rocks around where the seeds tend to take root. I started with three butterfly weeds and now have about ten.

Bookmark   September 23, 2003 at 10:01PM
thatbiologygirl(NW IN)

Another thing you can do: go to the place you saw lots of tuberosas and take a couple handfuls of the soil (this is of course assuming this is public land and you can get the soil without harming the plants themselves). Then work this soil in with some good course sand as previously suggested. By transplanting soil as well, you're establishing the soil microenvironment which will greatly increase the fitness of the plants. I have seen this with multiple prairie gardens I've started or been associated with. Try it, it should do wonders!

Another note, make sure there arenÂt any nasty invasives lurking about when you take the soil other wise you might find yourself host to their brood!

Hope this helps,

Jessica ~that biology girl~

Bookmark   November 11, 2003 at 5:15PM
woodland_gardens(z5 WI)

I would try not to mix sand and clay as such a mixture causes a concrete like substance that will have worse drainage than just clay. Use organic matter only when dealing with clay.

Bookmark   January 20, 2004 at 9:03PM
paul299(z4 Minnesota)

The soil is not the problem-the field at one time had lots of them. This species is very susceptible
to herbicide use, I can tell when my neighbor uses his weed killer because my Butterfly weeds
develop stunted growth.

Another problem might have been predation of the plants.

I have found that this species will grow in moist soil, the limiting factor is the oxygen leaves of
the soils.

Bookmark   February 11, 2004 at 12:15AM
froggy(z4/5 WI)

couple of thoughts

even tho u didnt see them this year, doesnt mean they are gone. maybe u have to better manage for that particular spp. and/or it was just a bad year for that spp. weather wise. and/or the population just is going thru a 'phase'. and/or this site was maybe seeded and now the truth behind trying to make a prairie out of something that isnt a prairie is rearing its ugly head and u are not getting year over year regeneration because things just arnt right for them.

also: sand, clay, water(rain), a few stomps and u get the pyramids that are over 3000 years old. betchya nuthin grows very well on em too :)

Bookmark   February 13, 2004 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Walnut / Black Walnut Trees
I am considering purchasing a 5-acre property with...
Blake
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
Need recommendations
Hi, Could someone give me an idea of which species...
adidas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™