Mowing Strawberries Worked!

tammyinwv(z6/WV)May 2, 2013

Mid June last year, my strawberries were done producing their measly harvest. I had read that you should mow the June bearing plants down to a couple of inches above the crowns. So I thought I would give it a try. Today i noticed it worked. I had triple the blooms on my plants than I have had for the last 2 years total. You can read more at link below.
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Mowing Strawberries

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

The strawberries in my school garden have gone wild...plant wise, but only a few berries showing yet.
I had not heard of mowing them!
I don't grow them myself cause I was allergic as a kid and lingering things make them taste very bitter! DH tastes them and says they are really sweet, I taste one per year and they taste very bitter!
We (they, I'm retiring this summer) are having to move to another school that doesn't have a garden space ;( , so I'm going to take the strawberries with me.
Thanks for the info! Nancy

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 1:14AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

Good news Tammy - and your strawberry border there is very cute!

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 1:49PM
oliveoyl3

Tammy, congrates on the thriving strawberries & thanks for sharing your photo. I've read that mowing is good for June bearing, but not everbearing or day neutral types.

Both types like mulch and a bit of fertilizer. I give ours some rabbit manure with the waste hay the bunnies drop. I wait until the tulip petals fall, so the soil has warmed some, but not too warm yet as strawberries like cool, moist soil.

Remember to bait for slugs! I have to put out deer deterrents, too because they love the foliage. Maybe more than I love fresh strawberries!

Corrine

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Ideas for Potager Paths and Borders
This is my potager setup. The red areas are brick walks....
riverfarm
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
Sacrificial Esthetics
Just curious if you guys think I'm make life a lot...
earthlark
Formally, Informal English Garden (edible)
I wonder if our edible front garden fits, here... List...
wbonesteel
New Potager Garden
I know nothing about what a "potager" garden...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™