Ironweed

livingdedgrrl(z5 OH)August 24, 2008

FINALLY! There is one lone Ironweed plant growing in my horse pasture. I've seen them everywhere else but my house and now I have one. I love this thing!

Obviously, I live in the country. In my flowerbeds, I let wildflowers grow where I haven't planted anything (and I often let the more decorative wildflowers fill in around my other flowers).

I would like to move this Ironweed to where I can see it. I have loads of butterflies and hummingbirds that come and I've read that they like this plant, too. Is there a way to transplant this Ironweed without killing it? Should I wait until Spring? Do it now? Don't do it and just collect seed?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pseudacris_crucifer(5)

I am jealous. Ironweed is one wildflower that I do not yet have in my garden. I would wait until fall, and then dig it and move it. I'd scatter seed in the dirt you just dug. Apparently that spot has the right moisture, aspect, soil, etc for this great plant.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 9:04PM
livingdedgrrl(z5 OH)

That's a good idea about reseeding the spot. Now that I think about it, it's growing right on the edge of where rain water runs off (our property is on a hill) and that also happens to be near where I dump the old water from the water bucket that I leave out there.

Cool! Thanks!

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 9:18PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I probably would not dig the plant up, but I would collect seeds from it. When it goes to seed, collect some and put the seeds where you want it grow. I would just tamp the seeds lightly into the soil this fall and cover with mulch. Mark the spot so you can watch for it in the spring.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 9:36AM
chrizty

pseudacris_crucifer sent you e-mail:) i have Ironweed-Vernonia altissima seeds.
i agree with joepyeweed its best to plant seeds than to move the plant.

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 11:16PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I think you could move the plant. Since you have only one, I might try to find a nearby pasture that has lots and ask if you can move one. I think most pasture owners would be happy to part with one. I'd dig a ball of soil with the plant in, cut the plant back to about two feet tall, plant, and water for the remainder of the summer. I don't think this will be a difficult plant to move, and you'll have a much larger plant next summer if you tranplant instead of start from seed. They usually like moist sites, but will do fine with good soil and average moisture.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 6:56PM
groundskeeperwenthe(5)

This is one of the most hardy natives in the upper Midwest. Go ahead and dig it up in the fall. Prune the stems so they only have a few leaves, and let the root system establish itself in its new location.

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 3:16PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have heard from a man who is a wildflower guru around where I live and he says that ironweed seeds need to be hardened by heat to germinate the same way one stratifies with cold other seeds. So the sprouts are really late germinating. I do not have much luck with regular ironweed but I gets lots of sprouts off of wooly ironweed seeds. I am real good at passing on hearsay. Hope it helps.

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
Weed or Native Forb?
Thanks for your help. A number of these in our young...
whallyden
My California Wildflower meadow
In mid winter I cut out some grass near my front yard...
nickrosesn
Trumpet Vines
i have a trumpet vine and it is very healthy but i...
Eric Harvilicz - PA
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™