Green Garlic

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)May 1, 2009

Okay, I am pretty new to this forum so this may be old hat, but here is a tidbit of info I want to share in the hopes that it's news to more than just me.

I recently noticed that a nearly entire head of garlic I had purchased at the grocery store had begun to sprout: green spears coming out of every single clove. It made me remember something that is in "The Bountiful Container" about green garlic. The author, Rose Marie Nichols, says this is the easiest way to grow and the tastiest way to use garlic. You simply stick the cloves into the ground about 1 to 2 inches deep and water. Then, you can cut the green tops off and use them in cooking. She says this gives a milder garlic flavor and is a gourmet treat. I thought, Why not?, so I planted them around the edges of my tomatos. In three days, they had grown nearly six inches tall! Nichols says you can cut the green tops back up to five times before you kill the cloves, and then after that you can dig the cloves and use them, along with baby cloves that may have formed! I haven't cooked with them yet, but will let you know when I try them. This is such fun!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmpete(5A)

Have never grown garlic, but I want to know how to. I am anxious to hear your result. Please keep us informed!

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 12:54AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Sort of like using garlic chives?

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 6:36PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Green Garlic is preferred by some. In hotter climates it is harder to hold over simply because the garlic likes cooler temps (plant in fall here for spring harvest). Why not experiment and try some in a shadier location and see if that works for you?

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 6:47PM
diggity_ma(5 MA)

Great suggestion! I still have some garlic in storage from last year's garden. Most of it has started to go green, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it in the compost pile. I guess I'll plant it and see what happens!

Thanks!
-Diggity

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 12:03PM
vikingkirken(6b)

jmpete,

Garlic is ridiculously easy to grow! Just buy a head of garlic at the store, preferably organic--apparently conventional store-bought is sometimes treated to prevent sprouting. Break apart the cloves and plant them 4-6" deep, about 6" apart, in the fall. I plant around Halloween in my zone so it has a little time to root and send up a couple shoots before really cold weather arrives. Mine stays green the entire winter before really resuming growth in the spring. When all but a couple leaves turn brown, it's ready to harvest. Put it in a shady, dry place for a couple days to dry out, and it stores great. I've never tried cutting the greens, but have heard both they and the scapes (flowers) are tasty as well, and can be cut without losing the bulbs.

Definitely my easiest crop!

Lori

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 9:53AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

The green garlic was indeed very tasty while it lasted. As someone said above, it evidently doesn't like hot weather, and so appears to have died or gone dormant. I will definitely be doing this in the fall.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 5:34PM
weedlady(Central OH 6)

If you plant garlic in the traditional way (fall, to harvest the following summer) be sure to harvest the new scapes that appear in late spring! These are delicious and should be removed anyway for a bigger, better bulb harvest.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Snowy Potager
The potager looks lovely with a layer of snow on it. The...
wyndyacre
New potager er
I'm laying the final pathways on my potager garden.......
lorabell NC
Who's still here?
I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we...
lavender_lass
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
can I use my pine needles for mulch
I have such a mess of pine needles in my yard that...
tracydr
Sponsored Products
Green Frog Abstract Bird I Canvas Gallery Wrapped Art - GF0031
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Fantasy Fields Magic Garden Table Lamp - W-7488A
$55.30 | Hayneedle
LNR Home Opulence Multicolor Geometric Rug (7'9 x 9'9)
Overstock.com
Green Hydrangea Bouquet Arrangement
$19.99 | zulily
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 18 in. Radial Shade, Forest Green, Frosted Glass, Wir
Home Depot
44-inch Outdoor Summerside Green Swing/ Bench Cushion
Overstock.com
Accent Rug: Daly Ivory 2' x 3'
$88.97 | Home Depot
Green Velvet Ultimate Furniture Protector
$29.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™