Maximillian Sunflower

Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)August 4, 2004

Hello and good mornin'

I started my Max's indoors using the moist coffee-filter/baggie method and got them out as soon as they germinated early spring...I have 6 survivors now about 4 1/2 ft. tall, healthy green and bushy. Lately I've been seeing some problem with the lower leaves. A brown (usually crispy)spot with yellowing around it will appear and eventually the whole leaf will crisp up.

Is this just older leaves doing what they do or ?

Thanks,

Vera

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
John_Blakeman(z5/6 OH)

Don't be concerned with this leaf color thing, It happens as the plant grows.

And boy does it grow! Watch out. On the dry plains of Kansas the species behaves itself, for lack of moisture. But move the plant to an area with 40 inches of precip (such as here in Ohio) and the plant explodes in giant colonies the chemically overtake everything that surrounds it. Like most perennial sunflowers, Maximillian's is strongly allelopathic, meaning that it produces plant-killing chemicals in its leaves and stems. Unless forceably restrained, the plant can take over an area with moderate to high moisture. Watch out. In a year or two, you may not be so excited by this aggressive plant.

Bookmark   August 5, 2004 at 10:44AM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Thanks John...

I know it is aggressive and for that reason do not have it planted in my wildflower area...rather it is planted in another area grown with reseeding native annuals like Plains Coreopsis and a few non-natives like Love-Lies-Bleeding and Mountain Garland. I needed to give the fenced in dog area some summer shade plus it acts like a screen from my neighbors view of this area.
Here we are lucky to get rain at all during summer...so far 9" of rain and that was early spring.

Thanks again :)

Vera

Bookmark   August 5, 2004 at 11:03AM
pasadena(z6-7WA)

so far 9" of rain and that was early spring--that will change in the next couple of days

Bookmark   August 5, 2004 at 11:44AM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Hi Pasadena...I hope so!

You still get more rain in the Pullman area then us...
every rain we were supposed to get over the last 2 weeks has gone right around us! We was supposed to get some rain last night in a thunderstorm system that was coming from the South of us and sure enough just as it reached Rosalia it split and by-passed us again! Today was the same darn deal. I believe our annual average ranges somewhere around 20"

Vera

Bookmark   August 5, 2004 at 8:41PM
pasadena(z6-7WA)

actually I'm not in Pullman, but 150 miles to the west where we get 9" a year total, and a lot of that snow.

Thanks for the info on the Maximillian Sunflower. I was wondering whether it would be worth it to plant and your experience leads me to add to the list for next year.

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 3:49PM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

I don't know why but I always thought you was in Pullman/Moscow area...sheesh! Yep.. most of our moisture is snow too. I think last winter was the most snow we had in years.
Well good news anyways...we got a little rain today! I'm happy but the farmers might not be in the middle of harvest!

I don't have very many of the Max. planted and most will either likely be dead-headed with a few left for the gazillion birds and browsing deer.

Vera

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
More recommendations please!
Is there a grass for this? Location: N. VA mtns...Appalachian...
adidas
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
Globe Thistle Bare Root. Which end is up??? Help!
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this...
newbud_2010
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™