What to do about bermuda in a wildflower plot?

janimalsAugust 25, 2013

Our wildflower plot, about 1000 sq ft, was started in the middle of a large sunny bermuda and crabgrass lawn 2 years ago. We used round-up to kill the grass in November and then planted by broadcasting seeds. Our first 2 springs were gorgeous with poppies. The other wildflowers are coming along nicely. But the crab grass and bermuda is now growing in from the sides. We are just about to mow for the 2nd time this year. Does anyone have any info on what to do about the unwanted grasses in our wildflower plot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreatPlains1(7OK)

You will have to dig down about six+ inches or so and put in a barrier of some sort and still plan to keep it trimmed back, a weed eater works pretty good. Any runners that have taken root will have to be hand dug out and clipped back, the sooner the better. If there is no barrier and regular trimming, digging it out will be a constant job. Its the nature of bermuda grass to do exactly what it is doing and nothing short of getting rid of it altogether will solve that. Its a matter of prevention or regular maintenance, there's no easy way around it.

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 23:16

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 11:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katherinejones24

Grasses fall into the "narrow leaf" category of plant material and can be dealt with by using what is called a selective herbicide (one that selects which plants to eliminate). When correctly applied it will eliminate the narrow leaf plants and not harm the broad leaf plants.

I'd recommend Grass Getter Narrow Leaf Herbicide

Here is a link that might be useful: Advanced Landscape Management

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 5:28AM
More Discussions
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
Sunflower meadow question
We're in mid-Tennessee. We have a meadow in which we'd...
arleneb
Grass ID and advice needed!
Hello. Posted this on name that plant forum. Got 2...
adidas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™