Black Walnut help

tiffschornAugust 4, 2012

I have some black walnut seeds I got as part of a trade. I have no idea how to grow them. I have been trying to find info about it online and the info I have been looking at seems to be contradictory. Any help? First, I live in Central Florida will it grow here? Second do they need to cold stratify? If so how long. The winters here are very mild so I would most likely put it on a damp ziplock and keep it in the fridge but I don't know how long or if its even necessary. Any help would be appreciated, I heard the germination rate is like 50% and I only have 4 so I don't want to mess it up I just want to get it to grow hopefully in a pot to transplant later.

Thanks for your help,

-Tiff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theresa2(z5)

Black walnut trees have many outstanding attributes. But a word of caution, black walnut trees distribute a growth inhibitor toxin into the soil called juglone. Consequently, there are many plants that will not thrive near a black walnut tree.

Here's a distribution map and other pertinent information about black walnut trees from the USDA that might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Globe Thistle Bare Root. Which end is up??? Help!
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this...
newbud_2010
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
establishing a prairie garden - strawberries
I'm converting my lawn to prairie plants and used a...
mill1154
Need recommendations
Hi, Could someone give me an idea of which species...
adidas
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™