Guess that Pepper!?

Rustacator(9B)June 18, 2012

Ok guys here is a stumper. I found this âÂÂoddâ shape pepper on it. Can you guess the type of pepper tree?

Funny thing is my plant is over 1 year old and harvested 200+ fruit off of it. First time getting a pepper this shape from her. But IâÂÂm defiantly keeping these pepper seeds separate from the rest I gathered and try growing those seeds next year and see if I get the same shape of peppers off of it. And hopefully it keeps its heat lvl to.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
habjolokia

Red tree Hab with either a malformed or possible cross pod? Is my guess. Usually a cross is not on the parent plant but in the seeds from the pods, so going with malformed. Time and seeds will tell.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 8:54PM
Rustacator(9B)

No, unforchantly, I have to tell you it isn't a Habanero pepper. I know some look like that, but it isnâÂÂt one. The pepper almost resembles a small bell pepper in a way. And all the plants peppers are total opposite from it. For an example a bell pepper shape vs jalapeno shape.â Using those types as an example.â They donâÂÂt even come close to looking like the same pepper. HereâÂÂs a hint on the comparison. On the first photo look at the leaf on the left next to the shed doors. On the upper right of that leaf is a baby pepper.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:48PM
steven1032

Looks like a rocotillo chili. But the other one looks more like a jelapeno or ghost pepper. Looking at the one at the barn door is a harder one to tell.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:28PM
steven1032

looking at the other pepper it could be either a fresno or tabsco a lot of peppers look like that. very hard to tell.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:47PM
Rustacator(9B)

Well steven1032 your second guess was correct. This is my Ghost pepper plant. But for some odd reason it grew a pepper like this. Anybody have a reason why out of no where it would grow such a weird shape pepper?

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:29AM
habjolokia

Could be a mutation, grow the seeds and see if it's a genetic mutation and breed it out until its stable then you get a tri-lobed ghost that you can give a name.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:30AM
steven1032

Poor pollination.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:39AM
Edymnion(7a)

Yeah, its just weirdly pollinated. Like a two headed calf, these things just sometimes happen.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:42PM
romy6(9)

I have about 4 ghost pepper plants and every one produces a different pod shape. Except for one plant that I got the seeds straight from CPI(N.M.S.U) It is always the same. I would say you have a cross of of some kind. Where did you get the seeds from?

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:01AM
Rustacator(9B)

I ordered it from seeds and things from Amazon . But the first set of seeds I got where the wrong seeds, 180 days later..found out. so I contacted him sent him pictures and he sent me new seeds. since that was 2 years ago. I see he has on his page the seeds are called Bhut Jolokia / Naga Morich Seeds now. so who knows what type of pepper plant it is now. Yea most of the peppers are like a true bhut peppers just like what photos I have seen, but unless they get to wet from the rains then they tend to fatten up in to rounder elongated shapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon : Bhut Jolokia / Naga Morich Seeds

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 2:14PM
Rustacator(9B)

Yea heres an update on that pepper. and i added a few more pices of what the other peppers look like on the same plant. Maybe it is a cross breed of two plants.
Also its been raining off and on here so everything is soaked. hard to see but there are a lot of green pods on her and more flowers

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™