What's New Here in MA /Trying Some Heirlooms

macgregor(6MA)June 7, 2011

Hi all,

Just an update on the goings-on in our potager in Melrose Massachusetts -

I have my potager planted but wanted to branch out somehow this year, try something different, without adding more beds at this point.

What I noticed when reading about seeds one day is that (and you all probably know this) there are a lot of heirloom plant and seed varieties out there, some of them going back in their development hundreds of years.

History interests me, especially American history, so I looked into some of these varieties for planting. I found a lettuce, called "tennis ball" that was planted at Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home - each head is literally about the size of a tennis ball; another lettuce from the south that was developed in the mid 19th century; a tiny round French carrot variety; and of course the (already) favorite of many, Brandywine tomato plants, whose flavor is considered by many to be the "gold standard" of tomatoes.

I found some flower boxes not being used and I am putting them all together to form an "heirloom" garden section. I am excited about it, it will really be an experiment!

Also, I am trying to follow through better with succession planting this year (ran out of steam last year), and have enjoyed researching and doing companion planting as well.

Just thought I'd share what's going on, I always love to read about people's ideas -

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ali-b

The tennis ball sized lettuce sounds really neat as an edging plant. It sounds like each one is a single serving salad.

I'm also trying some edible containers. I grew a lot of extra tomatoes and peppers including a supposedly very colorful chinese 5-pepper and some mini-tomato varieties. . I found 4 new containers without holes in the bottom and turned them into self-watering or SIPs with a water reservoir in the bottom.

I finally got to planting them out this week. The poor tomatoes and peppers were pretty root bound and will hopefully start perking up soon. My goal is to not buy any plant packs for my containers this season.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 2:17PM
lavender_lass(4b)

MacGregor- That sounds like such a good idea! I hope you will take some pictures, as I'd like to see your garden, especially the little lettuces :)

Ali-b, Your chinese peppers sound so fun. Do you have to have warm evenings for these peppers? I know some don't do well with out cooler evenings, but this pepper might bea good one to try!

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:36AM
ali-b

I know it does like the warm weather. Mine are still pretty small right now. Something I'll have to keep in mind next time. I'll need to start the plants earlier to have them to a decent size for a patio pot.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:57AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

Those tennis ball sized lettuces might be a great way to get kids into salad....each starts with their own tennis ball of lettuce!

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 2:37PM
macgregor(6MA)

I know, I love American history (and part of the reason I did these heirloom varieties I think), and I have been picturing Thomas Jefferson sitting down to dinner to have a tennis ball lettuce salad! It keeps me going!!! lol

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
What flowers do you grow in your potager?
As I have mentioned ad infinitum already, I'm in the...
nycynthias
Ideas for Potager Paths and Borders
This is my potager setup. The red areas are brick walks....
riverfarm
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
Snowy Potager
The potager looks lovely with a layer of snow on it. The...
wyndyacre
Formally, Informal English Garden (edible)
I wonder if our edible front garden fits, here... List...
wbonesteel
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | New Buds 3 Suspension Lamp
$928.00 | YLighting
Deluna Leather Sectional - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Seabrook Basket Storage Espresso Tower with Four Braided Removable Straw-grass B
Overstock.com
Arteriors Home - Ella Lamp - 12650-164
Great Furniture Deal
Gizaun Art Saloon Door Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - SD1624
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Slate & Blue Tertulia Serafina Reversible Wool Rug
$34.99 | zulily
Ocean Metallic - Satin Dark Blue Shade Double Gourd Lamp
Lamps Plus
Eye for Design Pillow Cover in Green
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for: