prairie and management

jessicagarden(5)September 23, 2010

I have grasses and wildflowers in about 1 acre of our yard. I want to mow it this year. To what height should I mow it? What is a good mowing schedule? I'm not ready to burn but will probably do that in 1-2 years. I also need a good prairie management book recommendation if you could. Thank you so much, J.Oliver

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
professorroush(6A)

Mow low; quite low, in fact. If you want the wildflowers, you won't be able to mow except yearly (fall).

I found The "Tallgrass Restoration Handbook" by
Cornelia F. Mutel and Stephen Packard to be the best source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings Blog

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 1:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rollie(4a)

How old is the planting and what is the reason for the mowing. If its relatively new planting, less than 4yrs old, then one can assume the mowing is for weed control. If you are mowing for weedcontrol, then the timing of the mow is critical. If you are mowing for weed control, typically you will mow 3 times, with 21 day intervals inbetween the mowings, with the first mowing taking place when the weeds you are mowing are just starting thier seed heads. You can mow high if it is for weed control.

I have a 5 acre restoration in progress.(4 years old) Most of it I dont need to mow anymore, but I still have about 1 acre thats a problem for me. I burned this year, but I burned too early. Thats a problem also.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
Grass ID and advice needed!
Hello. Posted this on name that plant forum. Got 2...
adidas
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
establishing a prairie garden - QUACKgrass
I've started converting my lawn to a prairie with the...
mill1154
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™