The West warms

us_marineDecember 22, 2013

After the arctic blast temps have rebounded back to above average. If trends stay this way we probably won't be seeing any more frost. Interesting how this winter is playing out.

Might be a little early to tell but it looks like the banana's are starting to grow again. I had cut back the dead leaves and stems flush where the new leaves should grow out and to my surprise today I noticed the new leaf a few cm above the cut. Not a whole lot of growth, barely noticable but noticable nontheless.If so thats the earliest I've seen them try to regrow.

- US_Marine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chadec(N.C.7b)

I wouldnt get my hopes up yet. Its too early in the season. We did hit the 70's today only to drop down into the 20's again by Wed.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 8:52PM
us_marine

Wish we would hit the 70f's! Its gonna be close though. This is actually around our coldest period. After the first week of Jan temps start to climb. Even though we can get frost into Feb its not very likely and usually only light frost.

- US_Marine

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 12:17AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
we've been having an incrediblty warm fall. Low so far has been 55!! tropicals are loving it ,playing havoc with the winter garden . lol Hopefully it will drop into "normal" particularly at night for Jan Feb ?? gary

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 3:30AM
subtropix

This weather is crazy. The last two days gave been in the low 70's. Yesterday and today, brought the plants out of my garage/greenhouse to be hosed down thoroughly. Heavy persistent rain today, so that too helpful. It was actually a bit uncomfortable yesterday with the humidity so was using the car's AC. The birds are singing up a storm and saw my first/last? yellow jacket of the season. I know, arctic cold is coming.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 12:06PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

In most parts of California, the coldest "month" is made up of the last two weeks of December and the first two weeks of January. In Fresno, where I live, the average low temperature is 34 for those four weeks. After the second week in January, the average lows start to climb. This doesn't mean we are completely out of the tunnel, but you can rest assured the freeze we got two weeks ago is the coldest we'll get all winter. That freeze is a once-in-ten-years' freeze type.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Sabal palm and fertilizing bermuda?
Hi, i have been getting alot of help just reading through...
gardy78
King palm fronds turning brown
I planted 3 big king palm trees ,fronds started turning...
callecovina
Need help identifying a cycad
I bought a cycad of unknown species and am trying to...
Yuri Diomin
Palm fronds turning yellow/brown
I have just moved into a (London, UK) house with some...
Oliver Beattie
Anyone know a nursery where i can buy Windmill Palms?
Hey there guys i'd like to purchase some windmill palms...
MileHighGardener
Sponsored Products
Casa Optima Industrial Oil-Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Sonneman Linea Tall Black Bronze & Off-White Wall Sconce
$220.00 | LuxeDecor
Quoizel Kyle KY1507IB Rod Hung Mini Pendant Light - KY1507IB
$179.99 | Hayneedle
Rockford 20 1/4" High Amber Seedy Glass Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
OW Lee Side Table Base For 24 - 30 Round and 24 Square Tops
$355.30 | LuxeDecor