'Meadow' hell strip grasses for Southern California?

KathyY44October 23, 2004

Hi,

I am planting a 5'x13' parking strip that is ajacent to a neighbor's lawn. On the California gardening forum many very helpful plants were mentioned and led to the idea of a "meadow". Won't be native only but there are California poppies and love in a mist self seeding that would look much better growing among grasses.

I have had a great time researching the past couple of days and have come up with some grasses that are bunch, green, low growing and hopefully adaptable to my climate. I would water once a month if needed to keep grasses looking like they are unmown lawn continuing from the lawn next door. I understand a lot of these aren't really meadow grasses but this isn't really going to be a large project, just a suggestion of a meadow.

Carex pansa

Carex praegraclis

Eyelash grass

Idaho fescue -variety?

Melica imperfecta

Poa scabrella

Seslaria heufleriana

Any further suggestions? Any experience in my long warm dry summer and damp short winter climate with any of these? I am concerned about seeds being a nuisance as with Stipa.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Please check out Prairie Moon nursery, and Prairie Nursery...I'm sure they can help you get your "hell strip" up and running! April

Bookmark   November 8, 2004 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
More recommendations please!
Is there a grass for this? Location: N. VA mtns...Appalachian...
adidas
Bluestem, bluestem & bluestem
I ran across yet another new Scizachyrium scoparium...
texasranger2
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™