mowing to control weeds in open vista meadow

rebow(6 Philly)October 5, 2006

I"m on a committee to manage 25acres of preserved land which on the master plan is supposed to remain "open vista meadow". We've been mowing it once a year in the fall to control multiflora rose. I'm wondering if just painting the stems with glyophosphate is a less disruptive way of dealing with it. The land is also overrun with Canadian thistle, crown vetch and hops. I have my doubts that fall mowing will control these since they have already gone to seeds. Any suggestions? Rebow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joepyeweed(5b IL)

You need to burn or mow a meadow periodically to maintain the health and diversity of the open vista. Don't consider the mow disruptive - its not.

A prescribed burn would be very useful. Burning is very selective at controlling non-natives and is stimulating to the native flora.

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 1:34PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Glphosate would work on the multi-flora. You can also spot-treat the thistle, hops and crown vetch with it, too. Joe Pye is right...a burn would also help with everything else.

Mowing doesn't usually kill a plant. It just makes really short, and it will bloom anyway. I had some 2" tall Queen Anne's Lace in full bloom this year, LOL! April

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 3:26PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

Burning might be a good idea but it isn't always easy to do in a relatively civilized setting such as a meadow within a subdivision. You could also try mowing, or perhaps selective mowing. If the thistles, vetch, or other weeds are concentrated in a particular area, mow that area early in the summer then walk around applying Roundup to the thistles. If you can't identify the thistles right after mowing you could wait a couple of weeks until they grow new leaves that allow you to identify them. This will take a number of repeat applications, but eventually you should be able to get the weeds under control this way.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
Gray-headed Coneflower misgivings
Hi, does anyone have experience with growing Gray-headed...
Wildflowergma
Weed or Native Forb?
Thanks for your help. A number of these in our young...
whallyden
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
Trumpet Vines
i have a trumpet vine and it is very healthy but i...
Eric Harvilicz - PA
Sponsored Products
Heavy Duty Open Center 84 to 156-inch Adjustable Rod with Sliders
Overstock.com
Dearborn Pendant by Tech Lighting
$244.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Wall Mount Light
$767.80 | Bellacor
Alyssa Outdoor Club Chair with Cushion
Grandin Road
WP RGBDW 5050 ColorPlus LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com