Annuals or Perennials?

achang89(Z6)October 31, 2005

I have a section of land about 150'x50' near the drain easement. There are some tall grass/plants standing, as well as some 1' seedlings. I do not know what plants they are, probably mostly annuals, like black-eyed susan.

If I'm going to spread some seeds, should I consider annuals? Also, one section of it does not have much growing there, probably because of the small rocks in the soil. Should I try to take out the rocks and spread seeds, or I should just leave it alone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

A question for you is what effect do you want? If you want an all flower meadow, then you will need to remove the grass and plant annual seed. You will need to spread the seed thickly and mulch well, otherwise you will also get lots of volunteer weeds. With annuals, you will need to do this every year.

If you want a lower maintenance perennial meadow, you will need to do a fair bit of work the first two or three years, then less work afterwards. See the link below for information about establishing a prairie meadow -- go to the home page, click on the PDF catalogue and find the section in the catalogue about site preparation.

As for the rocky area, it will be futile to remove the rocks, more will show up every year. Choose plants that do well in dry, stony soil for that area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Praire Moon Nursery

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 11:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achang89(Z6)

This will be a natural area, with wild flowers. The erosion control will be the first priority and maintenance will be minimal, just to take out invasive plants.

I'll go through the link you send to me. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
establishing a prairie garden - strawberries
I'm converting my lawn to prairie plants and used a...
mill1154
establishing a prairie garden - QUACKgrass
I've started converting my lawn to a prairie with the...
mill1154
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
Walnut / Black Walnut Trees
I am considering purchasing a 5-acre property with...
Blake
Trumpet Vines
i have a trumpet vine and it is very healthy but i...
Eric Harvilicz - PA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™