strange purple 'ink' on my pepper leaves

DarylltxJune 28, 2012

I have been finding strange things on my plants lately. First, gobs of black feces, maybe near where the hornworms are eating leaves. Noticed white bird poop, but they are probably picking at my bird peppers (piquien). But has has perplexed me the most is Im getting strange purple "ink" on a lot of my leaves. This purple stuff washes off and their is no damage to the leaf, at least on the surface, but it is very odd. Sorry for no picture. I am also seeing a flying insect with triangle shaped wings, a green insect about the size of half a penny. Ive seen this pest before I just forgot its name. also, I am getting brown spots on my bells and they are getting soft at the brown spots. I dont think this is the hormworm because they barrel through all my tomatoes, and these bells just had something carefully nibble on the surface and not make a hole through it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steven1032

sounds like sunscald on bell peppers. hard to tell without pictures. the purple ink could be from liquid fertilizer. just a wild guess. when i use a liquid fert. it leaves blue or purple film behind. cant tell if blue or purple kinda color blind.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:49PM
esox07 (4b)

Funny thing you mention this Darylltx. I just noticed the same thing on several of my plants this morning. The stuff seems to rub off easily. I figured it had to do with my watering my plants yesterday and maybe splashing some of the mix up on the leaves but I usually dont water in a way that splashes a lot of water on the plants. I ran out and took a quick photo but it was already dusk and I had previously rubbed most of the stuff off the leaves.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 10:09PM
Darylltx

I am spraying my plants at night with a mixture of orange oil and bt worm killer in liquid form; maybe I had the concentration too high, or you aren't suppose to use these products over a certain temperature. Remember, its still 99 sometimes at 8pm in central Texas. And I think you are right about the sun scald on the bells. Oh the purple stuff is florescent too almost like when you have a black light poster.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 10:37PM
noinwi

The purple stuff might be berry juice from bird droppings. I do see this on the walk out front so it is just a guess.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 1:59PM
esox07 (4b)

Good point noinwi. Berries are in full swing around here now and the stuff on the plants has all the properties of berry juice laden bird droppings. Maybe I will wind up with a raspberry bush next to one of my peppers. ahhaha.
Bruce

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 5:09PM
Darylltx

apparently these birds are eating Pokeberrys the pics on the internet look just like whats on my leaves

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 5:28PM
woohooman

Darylltx:

I don't know about the purple, but recently I read somewhere that you don't want to spray pesticides on plants when the temp and humidity add up to over 140. I would find that very frustrating in places like TX and OK where you guys get temps in the high 90's and high humidity for weeks on end.

Integrated Pest Management sounds like the BEST way to control pests, but it seems like it would be pretty pricy if one wanted to release a diverse variety of beneficials.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 2:20AM
More Discussions
Possible NuMex Halloween Mutation
So this year I broke out one of my dried NuMex Halloween...
Edymnion
Best Plant Markers Ever!!!
So.. I was a my local home depot picking up some peat...
leafericson
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Garden Prep - Necessary?
Hi All, I was allocated this space at my in-laws house...
salevene
Sponsored Products
Purple & White Dot Ribbon Monogram Plate
$34.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Jimeta Malachite
Home Depot
Enchanted Maze Brown and Purple Six Piece Queen Duvet Set
$199.00 | Bellacor
Fitzgerald Leather Ottoman - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Radiant Orchid Aviary Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Howard Elliott 14181 Multi-Color Floral Wall Art (Wood)
Beyond Stores
Elk Lighting Villa Weathered Rust & Purple Glass Five-Light 28'' Wide Chandelier
$730.00 | LuxeDecor
Little Tikes Garden Table - 630453M
$49.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™