? about sowing grass seeds

adidas(6/7)October 7, 2013

I left a sheet of plywood outside this summer and it pretty much killed all the grass under it. Now, if I were to sow some seeds (native grass seeds) in this patch and covered them w/burlap til spring....would these seeds germinate? Is this a viable method for sowing grasses? It's a very small area but then I really have very few seeds...just hoping that over time this grass will spread.

Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom

I would suggest simply sowing the seeds over the top-broadcast them and leave them be. Freeze/thaw cycles over the winter will act to place the seeds in exactly the right position for spring germination. Do this after there is no chance of these seeds germinating anymore this year. In my area, that's roughly mid-October onward. Your Z6/7 location suggests it may be a bit later where you are.

+oM

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 9:23AM
adidas(6/7)

Thank-you for your input! I will do as you suggest....however, I have a very active deer and kid population. The deer stomp everywhere and my kids...well, they're worse than the deer! So I still think covering the area (til Spring) w/burlap might help to at least keep the kids away! Is there any reason NOT to cover til Spring to further protect the seeds?

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 1:41PM
wisconsitom

Interesting question. We do sometimes sow seed in late fall, sometimes known as "frost seeding". The objective is to sow the seed late enough in the year that there is no chance of germination until the following spring. Sometimes, depending on slope, etc. we may place erosion mats or other mulch over this seeding, so based on that, I'd say leaving the burlap in place over winter should be okay. The only caveat is that many seeds like some sunlight hitting them to spur germination. So there may be some impact there. Perhaps as light a type of burlap as possible wouild be best.

+oM

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
More recommendations please!
Is there a grass for this? Location: N. VA mtns...Appalachian...
adidas
Globe Thistle Bare Root. Which end is up??? Help!
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this...
newbud_2010
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
Sunflower meadow question
We're in mid-Tennessee. We have a meadow in which we'd...
arleneb
Growing wildflower/grass/sedge seedlings in trays before planting
Hi, I intend to grow 100 different species of native...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™