Source for Grass Seeds?

millefioriNovember 9, 2006

Hello! New here.

We have several acres of newly cleared field and thinned woodland that I would like to plant with prairie grasses (big & little bluestem, sheep fescue, etc.) wildflowers and sedges. Plugging and purchasing individual ornamental grasses from garden centers on such a scale would be cost prohibitive so I need to find a source for bulk seeds. Did locate a German source if necessary but prefer U.S. seed source.

Also, any recommendations as to types of fast growing grasses to plant on sloped site for erosion control, drought resistant, humidity tolerant and grazing pressure in cold zone 7, heat zone 7. Recommendations on woodland sedges and grasses would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

~ Tru

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
froggy(z4/5 WI)

i would think that your local DNR or land conservation or local nursury could answer these questions better to your specific soil and desires.

there are many threads on the site that address these questions indirectly, so maybe a search will also yield what you are looking for.

froggy

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 8:01AM
bob64(6)

I have used Ernst Conservation Seeds and Wildlife Nurseries Inc. There are many companies you can purchase from by mail order. Native seed tends to be a little bit expensive. I used creeping red fescue on a steep slope and it worked out o.k. If you can find a place you can go to in person you can save a lot on shipping. Some turf grass and highway grass seed providers also have some native seed for sale - especially if your local towns or DOT have native seed percentage requirements for roadsides.

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 9:37AM
mwbeall(IN5 E tallgrassregion)

I have ordered from Spence Nursery http://www.spencenursery.com/ Their prices and service are top-notch and they are user-friendly. I have ordered SOG and LBS. I recommend them.

mike@prairiesedge.org

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
Too late to sow grass seeds now?
I have planted an area with prairie grasses and forbs....
mdahms1979
Need recommendations
Hi, Could someone give me an idea of which species...
adidas
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™