When do we start seeds for fall?

jennbenn(z7b)July 10, 2006

I know this probaly is a silly question, but when planning my fall veggie garden, when do I start seeds for the veggies? Also, want to plant lots of pansy's ... and cool season flowers that I can interplant. Think the time is now? I always struggle with timing with veggies..and somehow miss the boat. Thanks!

~jenn zone 7, Memphis,TN last frost date is in middle of Nov. I believe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Hey Jenn:
I think you'd probably start yours a week or two before I start mine, so I'd begin next week with some things like cole crops that take longer to get going: cabbage, cauliflower, etc.

I begin to judge in August how warm it is relative to day length and then begin lettuces, arrugula etc. again. Usually between these two times I will start more asian veggies like bok and pac chois, mustards, kale and swiss chard.

I'm not sure what you do with root vegetables. We sow ours in the fall with direct seeding beginning in August.

GGG

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 3:41PM
jennbenn(z7b)

Thanks GGG

I have some carrots I am harvesting as needed now, so when done I will try some more this fall. I will try to get my cole crops going soon, I missed the boat on these last year, then this spring missed again, got hot too fast. Only had a few sprigs of broc. (my husband loved it though). The cabbages sat and looked cute but didn't grow, so pulled them to get the tomatos, squash in. Veggies are hard to me. So, I will keep trying. Sorry for the ramble, but thanks for the help.
~jenn

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 5:44PM
debbieca(z9/sunset8)

Beets want 12 weeks before first frost.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 10:35AM
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

You can contact your County Extension Agent for a chart that shows what variety of vegetables do best in your area, and the time(s) that are best to plant them. Our Extension has a chart for spring and one for fall.

Amd in case you don't have an Extension agent, you can check with your Department of Agriculture. Also, the universities are plum full of information.

Janie

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Would this be considered a Potager?
Hello! I'm new to gardening (this year) and someone...
LuvMyRazz
deer fence advice for our potager?
The deer found my new potager last June and by August...
zinniamama
Sacrificial Esthetics
Just curious if you guys think I'm make life a lot...
earthlark
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
Sponsored Products
Blu Dot | Desk 51
YLiving.com
Layla Outdoor Side Table - 20in. High
Grandin Road
Waterproof Amber LED Neon, by the Meter
EnvironmentalLights.com
Varaluz | Clout Flytrap 3 Light Mini Pendant Light
$299.00 | YLighting
Arco Floor Lamp by Flos Lighting
$2,995.00 | Lumens