rosemary - colours question

corpusAugust 4, 2006

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for my question but since rosemary might wind up in potage I thought you'd let me ask here.

I have the regular, common or garden variety of rosemary and it's doing quite well despite the fact that it gets little care or attention. My wife has come home from her job with a sprig of rosemary from the garden there and the flower is bluer.

Before I put mine out and start again, can anyone tell me whether, if I improve the nutriments etc. and actually water it, the colours might deepen?

Any advice gratefully received!

corpus

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manzomecorvus(Austin TX 8B)

Corpus,

Don't water it! Rosemary likes it hot and dry. Is it safe to nibble on the sprig your wife brought you?

If it is, I would taste test it against what you have... there's a lot of varieties out there but there doesn't seem to be munch sense to the labels you see. I usually rely on my sense of taste, you can taste the difference in the different varieties.

If it tastes different, see if your wife can find out what variety they planted. As I said before, the labeling system seems half hazard, so you are probably better off mail ordering it from a herb specialty catalog if you can find out what it is.

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 9:56AM
corpus

Hi Manzomecorvus,

Thanks for the tip - much appreciated. I'll ask the spouse to bring some more home and we'll do the tast test!

Greetings,
corpus

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 7:22PM
BecR(zone 9 CA 19)

I have Tuscan blue rosemary, and it blooms a medium blue. By the way, I do believe rosemary grows real easily from cuttings. I've not actually tried propagating rosemary, but it should work. Have your wife bring you a nice healthy 6 inch cutting to try. I've done lavender that way, just use a small pot (3 to 4 inch) at first, with plenty of cactus mix added to the potting mix. You need good drainage, esp with cuttings or they will rot.
-Becky

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 9:13PM
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

You can't change the color or rosemary. Different varieties have different colors. They come in lt blue, med blue, dark blue, pink and white. It depends on the vairety. Some grow upright and some cascade down.

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 4:08PM
corpus

Thanks everyone - much appreciated.

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 2:59AM
More Discussions
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
attractive bean support
Hello. I am planning my garden and I would like to...
timothina
Dog yard....sigh
Well, after taking an early retirement, I thought WooHoo,...
nancyjane_gardener
Who's still here?
I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we...
lavender_lass
New Potager Garden
I know nothing about what a "potager" garden...
charlieboring
Sponsored Products
Rosemary Green Bold Stripe Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Rosemary Sheet Set
$59.99 | zulily
Anolon Advanced Hard-Anodized Nonstick 4-Quart Covered Saute with Pour Spouts &
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Rosemary Green Narrow Zig Zag Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Portedale Rosemary Gold - 44 diam. in. - DM1937
$458.00 | Hayneedle