Grass Suggestions

bob64(6)November 25, 2006

I have two areas that could use some grass or something grass-like that can take regular mowing. I strongly prefer native plants. Both areas are shady but get moderate sunlight.

One is a high traffic area that also gets soggy a lot and has more or less loamy soil and, now, a fair amout of silt from the drainage problem.

The other area is highly compacted earth bordering a sidewalk and gets a normal amount of moisture. I am in Westchester County, New York.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

High traffic, shade, soggy and a drainage problem. Grass will not grow here and continuing to put high traffic on soggy soil will result in compacted soil where nothing will grow.

Suggest that you fix the drainage problem. If not fixable, then can you build a stone dust or gravel or stepping stone path for the high traffic area?

Instead of mowing beside the sidewalk, would a low growing ground cover work?

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 9:54PM
froggy(z4/5 WI)

moss.

froggy

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 7:28AM
bob64(6)

Thanks for the suggestions.
I improved the drainage problem a lot by diverting the flow of an intermittent spring away from the area and cleaning out a nearby drain but still get a fair amount of water in the area. The high traffic/soggy area is supposed to be a mini-playground. I don't know why it is receiving so much more water as of late. Maybe neighbors did something to increase runoff? Maybe damage to tree canopy did it?

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
Weed or Native Forb?
Thanks for your help. A number of these in our young...
whallyden
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Grass ID and advice needed!
Hello. Posted this on name that plant forum. Got 2...
adidas
Need recommendations
Hi, Could someone give me an idea of which species...
adidas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™