Experience with Lemon Gem Marigold

ali-bAugust 20, 2010

This is my first year growing Lemon Gem Marigold. I like its feathery foliage and interesting scent. My plants however seem to be dying. I notice that one will start looking more dry than the others. When that happens the plant dies within a few days. All of them receive the same amount of water as my veggies since they're growing in the same beds and the veggies are happy. Has anyone encountered this behavior with lemon gem? I've grown other varieties of marigolds and they've been very vigorous, lasting until a hard frost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

I love this plant and it smells delicious, but unfortunately it gets tired out by the end of August unlike other marigolds. I just pulled out all of mine.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:13AM
ali-b

Thanks for the info. I thought I was doing something wrong with the poor things.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 12:38PM
lily51(OH 5)

Is this one of the marigolds that deters harmful nematodes? Ifso,it's worth planting every year even if it does stop blooming early.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 7:50AM
defrost49

I love this marigold but have a hard time finding starter plants in the spring although the seed is easy to find in most catalogs. I am trying to think of when the marigolds stop blooming. This year we had very dry weather for NH so they didn't bloom well at all. The leaves looked curled up so it wasn't until we finally got some good rain late in the season that the plants looked good. Not sure if they deter nematodes but they are such a delightful small plant with such a wonderful fragrance that I love them in all sorts of places beginning with the way they add color to my herb garden.

But, hearing an individual plant die and then another just doesn't sound right. If you pull on the dying plant, does it come right up because the base of the stem has been chewed thru? I had some underground insect/grub chew thru a little row of parsley one August before I wised up.

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 1:21PM
ali-b

defrost49
Thanks for the input. The plants still had a lot of roots. They just seemed to dry up and die. They were edging plants and the main plants were doing just fine (tomatoes, leeks, herbs, etc.) It's funny because I wound up having a few diehard lemon gems make it through a couple of light frosts and finally succumbed. Still don't know why so many others just shriveled up.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Potato boxes
Not sure if this is the best site ... But ... If not...
Crawfordjohn66
What flowers do you grow in your potager?
As I have mentioned ad infinitum already, I'm in the...
nycynthias
Formally, Informal English Garden (edible)
I wonder if our edible front garden fits, here... List...
wbonesteel
Sacrificial Esthetics
Just curious if you guys think I'm make life a lot...
earthlark
I don't understand?????
Why this forum has gone to the dogs! I'm not able to...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™