Dividing Bluestem

oldwriter(z8 Central TX)December 9, 2005

What is the best time(s) to divide and transplant native grasses: big and little bluestem, Indian grass, sideoates grama?

Does it matter that I am in central Texas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pam_aa(z5 Berwyn Il.)

I think its kinda late now for dividing even for zone 8, early spring when they start growing again is your next bet. Good luck, they have one heck of a root system but it should be doable. You may need a saw. As in any transplant, DON'T let them dry out till reestablishment. Be patient they may take a while to get going, maybe as long a two years.

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 2:41PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I think if they are dormant now, you could divide them just fine.

I would divide in the late fall or early spring before they turn green.

You definitely will need a saw. I tried to dig some up and break them with a shovel and it was no going. I really didnt want to dull the saw blade on dirt and roots but I had no choice.

Bookmark   December 10, 2005 at 12:29PM
davidl_ny5

I divided a small (1' across?) clump of little bluestem early last spring, on advice from this forum I think. I did it early while dormant, took as much root as I could get, dug a fairly deep hole, and really stomped on it. Worked like a charm. Where you are, keeping it moist is probably important too.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 3:34PM
davidl_ny5

Oh, I just used a spade (but it was a small bunch) and the transplant was full-sized first year.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 3:37PM
AdamM321(MA z5/6)

Hi,

I am considering adding little bluestem and indian grass to my yard. From what I am hearing, once it is in, it is there to stay? Is it also going to reseed and take over the beds?

adam

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 8:34AM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Adam,

I have a clump of little bluestem in my front yard. It's 3 years old, and I haven't noticed that it's seeded all over, nor has the clump spread. Same with Side Oats Grama. I have a clump of indian grass, too. I've heard it can be aggressive with spreading and seeding, but I haven't noticed it. I've heard the same about big bluestem, but I have that out back where it can spread out if it wants to. April

Bookmark   February 4, 2006 at 2:28PM
john_mo(z5/6)

Little bluestem is a long-lived perennial, so once established it should be part of your planting for a long while.

I think that your local soil and climate conditions go a long way toward determining whether these grasses will re-seed themselves or not. Little bluestem grows well enough for me but it doesn't self-seed in my garden, which is perhaps too poorly-drained for this species. Same goes for sideoats.

But indian grass is a bit too happy with conditions in my garden. I moved the large plants to a location where they would have more room, but seedlings keep popping up. Indian grass has a reputation of taking over larger-scale prairie plantings in this area as well. It's a beautiful plant, but a bit agressive.

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
Central Texas Grassland restoration Blog
This Blog Is really pretty good and interesting. Jill...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Need recommendations
Hi, Could someone give me an idea of which species...
adidas
Burn time approaches
Anyone planning on burning their 'prairie' off ? I...
dbarron
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™