Butterfly/Bee plantings and mulch

misterpatrick(4)December 29, 2011

Hello all,

I am slowly working on the yard of the house we purchased last year. I have a great woods full of natives and a small bit of prairie I'm working on. There is a small strip on land that abuts my neighbors property that is also the border of my vegetable garden. The garden is raised with 2x12's and this area is fairly low so gets a lot of water. The neighbors side is covered with a wood mulch/chips of some sort with a few low shrubs and a river birch. This is on the north side of my garden so I'd like to plant some shorter sunflowers for moisture control as well as a bunch of bee/bird friendly things like butterflyweed, lavender hyssop, coneflower, blazingstar etc. The one issue is that the area is pretty weedy so I was thinking of covering the entire area with pine-bark mulch and then either planting seedlings or direct sowing in small cleared areas.

Any thoughts on this plan? Just wondering if the pine-bark mulch will do a good job with web control but still allow for these natives and other flowers to grow well? Too acidic as it breaks down?

This is a small area - about 30' long by about 5' deep.

Should I start seedlings for some of these plants (which ones) or just direct sow?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akaj9(9 Central Florida)

I would lay down some heavy layers of newspaper over the weeds, then heavily mulch the area...wait through winter then start planting in spring pending the weather and your climate and type of flowers..what zone are you in? that may help....also ck. out lasagna composting....

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 1:05AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Sounds like a great plan. Do you wintersow? If not, check out the wintersowing forum for help getting seedlings started inexpensively. Do you need seeds? I probably have lots of the varieties you need. Let me know if I should put together a care package.

Martha

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 10:19PM
misterpatrick(4)

Thanks for the tips! Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town. I don't wintersow, but I have been getting ready to start vegetable seedlings so I have the equipment for that. I doubt I'll have a chance to cover the area this winter, but early spring I'll lay down newspaper and then pinebark mulch hopefully before any weeds have a chance to sprout.

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine??
Me again! Can anyone tell me the best way to take a...
Kim.MI - 5
More recommendations please!
Is there a grass for this? Location: N. VA mtns...Appalachian...
adidas
Grass ID and advice needed!
Hello. Posted this on name that plant forum. Got 2...
adidas
Globe Thistle Bare Root. Which end is up??? Help!
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this...
newbud_2010
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™