Mowing time

bonnan(6 & 5)December 21, 2013

My meadow patch contains mostly Rubeckia; when is best time of year to mow? Trying to keep weeds and tree seedlings from taking over.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NKUSigEp(6)

There are a couple of different approaches you can take depending on what types of weeds and saplings you have and also how frequently you want to mow; but I think most sources recommend mowing in the early spring. This accomplishes a couple of things: removes old growth to make way for the new, the clippings act as a mulch which helps retain moisture and crowd out weeds, it knocks down saplings, and allows the standing growth late in the year to provide over-wintering habitat for wildlife. I might mow once every other year or so in mid-summer though to try to keep annual weeds from going to seed and help control their population.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 8:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom

Bon, another approach is to do a high mowing-perhaps 6 to 8 inch height-early July or really whenever objectionable weed species are beginning to produce flowers, the idea being to interrupt seed cycles for these species. And your Rudbeckias and a few other native species will often still have time to bloom/produce seed. Just watch your site and see when thistles, wild carrot, reed canary grass, or whatever you've got there that you don't want, is beginning to bloom. You don't want to wait too long into this stage though: Many plants can produce viable seed if their flowers are mature, even if beheaded from the mother plant. So get them early.

+oM

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
Bluestem, bluestem & bluestem
I ran across yet another new Scizachyrium scoparium...
texasranger2
Weed or Native Forb?
Thanks for your help. A number of these in our young...
whallyden
Central Texas Grassland restoration Blog
This Blog Is really pretty good and interesting. Jill...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™