Native grasses as a lawn

bwmilam_tn(6b)December 14, 2006

I live in the midst of suburbia with less than a ¼ of an acre. IÂd much prefer to use a native grass, but it will have to be cut on a regular basis. Are there any options for someone like me living in Nashville, TN  a transitional zone? Are there any native grasses that have similar color as a standard tall fescue? Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

For low-cut, formal lawns I don't think there are a whole lot of native grass choices. Buffalo grass is the only one I am aware of, and I am not sure just how easy it is to grow or how it looks - I have never grown Buffalo Grass. A different idea might be to have some of the high traffic areas of the lawn planted in a typical lawn grass, then use native grasses in other areas and cut them a little higher and less often. Lots of grasses such as Little Bluestem and Sideoats Grama will do fine if mown at maybe four to 6 inches height. They would look pretty normal - something like the rough on a golf course. The whole thing could look very manicured if you keep the edges groomed.

Bookmark   December 18, 2006 at 9:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_mo(z5/6)

Buffalo grass can make a great, low-maintenance, native turf in a suitable climate, but that doesn't include Tennessee. If you want a standard turf grass, non-natives are your only option.

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Central Texas Grassland restoration Blog
This Blog Is really pretty good and interesting. Jill...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Burn time approaches
Anyone planning on burning their 'prairie' off ? I...
dbarron
establishing a prairie garden - QUACKgrass
I've started converting my lawn to a prairie with the...
mill1154
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
Trumpet vine??
Me again! Can anyone tell me the best way to take a...
Kim.MI - 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™