Best edging plants for raised bed potagers

FostermamasSeptember 20, 2012

I'm wanting to add an edging plant to the center foursquare of my potager and am looking for advice. I originally thought liriope but I hear it can be quite invasive. I want to keep it small and contained so not anything as large as boxwood. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Chives? Parsley? Bulls Blood beets? Sorrel? It's a potager so edibles would make sense.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 2:17PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

nasturtium....showy flower & edible

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 6:23PM
mandolls(4)

I used parsley for edging this year and loved it. Also Lobelia and petunias, both of which will hang down the sides and add great color.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 6:50AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

If you go for Nasturtiums choose a dwarf variety. A single plant of a traditional creeping nasturtium would fill that bed. Plus if the soil is rich, as it would be for vegetables, Nasturtiums would grow enormous and leafy.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:36AM
oliveoyl3

What works for me is to use different biennial or perennial edgings combos in each bed so I can remember what is planted where and direct a family member to go out to get more of something while I'm in the kitchen.

I plant curly parsley with garlic chives and flat leaf parsley with onion chives. I let flat leaf parsley reseed & move seedlings to wear I want them or leave as a groundcover for brassicas. I am not letting curly parsley reseed this 2nd year. What we don't eat I feed to the our rabbits & chickens, so it's used up.

To tie the beds together I've planted Calendula, pot marigold and a few pansies. I also sometimes add a few bedding or dwarf dahlias in summer. Slugs are attracted to the pansies & the dahlia so eat them before my lettuces.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:04PM
lavender_lass(4b)

Small marigolds, alyssum, calendula, small zinnias and pansies/violas, if there's a little shade :)

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 12:12PM
canokie

Lovely potager by the way!

Dianthus might be an interesting choice. The flowers are pretty, and the foliage is blue green and seems to stay in a contained little mound. I have not personally tried this, but the flowers are edible and supposed to taste clove-like. Other edible flowers are pansies and nasturtiums.

Another advantage to planting flowers, even if not edible, would be to attract pollinators. The only challenge would be finding flowers that stay small and neat.

Another option that might work are plants that repel pests, such as marigolds or herbs such as basil (there is a small cultivar that looks like boxwood but I'm not sure how big it gets).

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants that repel pests

1 Like    Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 9:22PM
canokie

Here's some info on Boxwood Basil. It stays small and compact, 8" to 14" tall and wide. I might try this myself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxwood Basil

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
You can't have your salad and your design....
I love the look of veggie gardens, especially the potager...
t-bird
What would you want in a potting bench?
DH is an out of work wood carver and we have fortunately...
nancyjane_gardener
Rethinking a Peter Rabbit Garden...X-post
So, I've finally got all the plants on the porch into...
lavender_lass
deer fence advice for our potager?
The deer found my new potager last June and by August...
zinniamama
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
Sponsored Products
Agave Round Pendant
Lightology
&'Costa | Bambu 2 Light Pendant
YLighting
Dandelion Pendant Light
LBC Lighting
Cactus! Mug by Alessi
$82.00 | Lumens
Marin Vase in Tangerine
$19.99 | Dot & Bo