Show Us Your 'Prettified' Row Covers, Hoops, Rain Blankets

blameitontherain(8 PNW wetandwetta)September 11, 2009

Hi.

I posted this on another forum and someone guided me to this one as more appropriate. Wow! The potagers you all have created are brilliant! I am so glad to find you!

Are you the opposite of Gunilla Knutson? Instead of embracing the zen of "take it off, take it aaaaall off", do you cover up your tomatoes and other heat-loving, rain- hating plants? In this part of the world, it really helps to cover up in early Spring and to provide shelter from the fall rains prior to our first frost, but I don't want to destroy the aesthetics of my potager* with anything too unsightly. If any of you use protective devices in creative or attractive ways**, I would love to see your photos!

With great excitement and anticipation,

Rain

*you'd think it would have occurred to me to search out a forum with the name of "Potager Gardens", non?

*c'mon, get your mind out of the gutter!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Other than neat, I wouldn't call my row covers pretty. I use tomato cages as the hoop part and lay the white row covers over them.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 12:57PM
blameitontherain(8 PNW wetandwetta)

Thanks for the response, donnabaskets.

There must be a more aesthetically pleasing way to way to protect tender plants. I thought of using rows of glass cloches but they're expensive (like $75.00 each for the larger sizes). The plastic ones don't appeal to me and I'm not keen on plastic in our organic garden.

Hmm, any other ideas?

Rain

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 6:43PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

My protective devices would probably not suit your athetic needs. I have PVC hoops covered with all manner of psychedelic thrift store sheets and a layer of plastic over top of that. I don't much care at that point for pretty, I just want to eat!

GGG

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 12:02AM
lavender_lass(4b)

You might try looking at Jennifer Bartley's book on potagers. As I recall, she covered almost every topic and had lots of pictures.

Pretty is nice, but functional is also important. I always have to balance these out with cost, so aesthetic isn't always the first consideration, but good luck on your row covers!

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 2:25PM
blameitontherain(8 PNW wetandwetta)

Thanks for the tip, lavender lass. I'll check it out of the library and give it a look-sie over the weekend.

Rain

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
New Potager Garden
I know nothing about what a "potager" garden...
charlieboring
creation of a vegetable garden
Hello everybody ! I would like to receive advice for...
CharlotteANTOINE
Potato boxes
Not sure if this is the best site ... But ... If not...
Crawfordjohn66
I don't understand?????
Why this forum has gone to the dogs! I'm not able to...
nancyjane_gardener
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™