new cross. bell x.....

scgreenthumb1987(8)June 8, 2014

i saved my seeds from my bell pepper last year. now that its producing i got this....

what do yall think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07 (4b)

Hmmm, looks kind of like an Anaheim. What other peppers did you grow last year that it might have crossed with?
Bruce

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:31PM
scgreenthumb1987(8)

banana, hot banana, Cayenne, jalapeno, orange habanero, chocolate bhut.... thats really the only ones that was close to my bells. my bet is on banana or hot banana from the way it looks. well that one looks, they all look different. about 10 pods on it. i just chose to take a pic of this one because its the biggest . i know they dont cross easily but wouldnt it be nice if it was the orange hab it crossed with? lol

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 12:51AM
jutsFL(9b (Orlando))

Now this has the potential to be quite the interesting cross, keep us updated for sure !

Jay

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 7:07AM
sjetski(6b NJ)

Going by the leaves, and pod shape, i'd agree. Looks like an annuum x annuum cross. Unless your Bell pepper last year was an intentional F1 hybrid, if it was then the offspring would be reverting back to their original lineage.

I would hold onto seed from that same pod because it looks like a winner.

Steve

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 9:28AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

You might have got yourself a "POD" of gold.
I second, Hold on to the seeds from that pod and let us know about the taste and heat

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 12:59PM
scgreenthumb1987(8)

Ok. Will do yall. Wonder how long it's going to take to turn.....now that it's being watched lol.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:41PM
scgreenthumb1987(8)

Well. It's one hell of a producer with 10 or so large peppers on it and It's the tallest pepper plant in my garden now.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 5:34PM
ronnyb123(Zone 9)

A long hab like that would be awesome.

Hope its hot. Maybe you could do additional crossing.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 5:38PM
scgreenthumb1987(8)

Curiosity has gotten the better of me. When I get off work in the morning I'll pick one of the smaller pods (saving the one in the pic for seed collection) and eat it. I may be wrong but from pod shape, leaf shape, and general plant characteristics I'm really leaning towards it being a bell x banana. Which a few friends of mine that can't handle heat are super excited about. Would make a great salad pepper as my mom said lol. I had planned on getting my feet wet in the crossing and breeding world over the coming winter but it looks as tho I'm going to start learning early lol.

I'm going to continue this cross as it is and attempt to make 2 variations. One mild and one hot. Any pointers would be appreciated as I've never intentionally done this. On the hot version I would like to cross it with cowhorn (for more heat and prolific traits while keeping the pepper at a very large size) and giant bhut for obvious reasons.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 7:50PM
scgreenthumb1987(8)

Cut one and tried it. Its....weird. it has the smell of a bell pepper but the taste is hard to describe. It is super juicy. Like bitting into a honeydew Mellon juicy with about the same texture. Even tho we haven't had rain in almost 2 weeks this pepper retained a crazy amount of fluid. It honestly tastes and fells more like a Mellon than a pepper.

Oh. 0 heat. None at all.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 6:56AM
lundaesundae(Zone 6)

that looks and sounds very interesting! definitely keep us informed on how it turns out.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 2:07PM
jutsFL(9b (Orlando))

Odd characteristics thus far. Have to see how the ripe ones end up now I suppose. The heat aspect can change significantly with ripe pods - and I'm really curious as to the final color of them as well.

Jay

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
best flavored of the "super hots"
I am sort of reluctant to use the words "super...
robeb
Is it to early to plant peppers?
I have 2-3 month old pepper starts and was wondering...
syntria
Seed question
I have been very curious about this matter. I planted...
tomyres
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Sponsored Products
Rizzy Home Yellow 18 Inch x 18 Inch Pillow Cover with Hidden Zipper
$33.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Wyndham Lavender/ Ivory Wool Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
White Double Cube Plus Bookcase
$29.99 | zulily
MLRT24D5550 MaxLite 2x4 Eco-T LED Recessed Troffer 55 Watts 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Nourison Vallencierre VA26 Area Rug - Beige Multicolor - 61790
$139.00 | Hayneedle
Jubilee Hand Towel - SAPPHIRE(BLUE) (16X30)
$20.00 | Horchow
7'x10' Handmade Striped Design Colorful Kashkuli 100% Wool Oriental Rug Sh19784
1800 Get A Rug
Emerald Ensemble Oil Rubbed Bronze/Hardware
PLFixtures
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™