ideas to espalier vine on wall

mrtoad(7b NC)October 30, 2009

i found the following photo in a gardening magazine - i would like to duplicate this idea - vine would be on brick wall of my home facing the west and would get the afternoon sun - i live in zone 7b - thanks for any suggestions

please note - i am duplicating vine on wall only - not the fountain - not the lights

mr toad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavender_lass(4b)

Wow, that's really dramatic! I'll take a guess and say maybe honeysuckle? I hope someone with more plant knowledge responds soon :)

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 11:18PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

This would be gorgeous with fruiting trees. Is this the bathroom wall from the Atlanta Botanical Garden? It sure looks like it, by the entrance to the children's garden.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 11:45PM
tisiree

This thread is a little old, but I just saw it and thought I would mention that honeysuckle might not be the best idea - it grows fast and so would fill in fast, but it grows so fast it is hard to keep it looking neat like in the picture. I did something similar on a fence with honeysuckle a few years ago, and finally let it spill over on the top for a more natural look - I just couldn't keep it up otherwise. I swear it would grow 4 inches in a day sometimes!

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 3:55PM
logansmum

I have that photo saved too ;-) If I remember the details correctly, that planting in the photo is confederate jasmine. It has shiny leaves and is everygreen and has lovely smelling white flowers in the spring (I have one growing on a trellis in a pot). I'm in Atlanta (zone 7, not sure if it's A or B).

I plan to use confederate jasmine when I create a similar pattern on a large brick wall in our backyard. I'll use loop screw thingies into the brick or mortor and run galvanize wire onto the diamond pattern for the vine to grow around. In a few years, I hope it will look like that photo.

Good luck. Susan

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
Rethinking a Peter Rabbit Garden...X-post
So, I've finally got all the plants on the porch into...
lavender_lass
Would this be considered a Potager?
Hello! I'm new to gardening (this year) and someone...
LuvMyRazz
creation of a vegetable garden
Hello everybody ! I would like to receive advice for...
CharlotteANTOINE
Who's still here?
I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we...
lavender_lass
can I use my pine needles for mulch
I have such a mess of pine needles in my yard that...
tracydr
Sponsored Products
Addison Park 10" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
$77.90 | Lamps Plus
Leucos | Planet 48 Wall and Ceiling Light
$765.00 | YLighting
'Grandma' Plaque
$9.99 | zulily
Ball Wall Clock by Howard Miller
Grandin Road
Dexter Outdoor Wall Sconce
Lightology