Jupiter's Beard, white blooming

mylab123(z5NW)May 30, 2012

I love the deep hot pink Jupiter's Beard because it adds so much to my flower vases, flower arrangements taken from my cutting garden and roses and even sometimes stuck into the bloooms from my Incrediball white hydrangeas- flowers for cutting is why I began to grow plants, almost everything in my beds have flowers which I will cut for a vase. I try to have vases of flowers all over the house - including very small ones for the bathrooms, from spring to mid/late fall.

I would love to try the Jupiter's Beard which is white blooming which would be even much more versatile than the hot pink, really.

A couple of questions, I can't tell from the pitures I found on the internet - are the blooms on white Jupiter's Beard just like the deep hot pink blooms or do the blooms look a little different?

Does the plant flower and re-flower as easily as the deep pink Jupiter's Beard?

Another question please - if I plant some white blooming Jupiter's Beard near my hot pink bloomers, will the white take on a pink tinge or will the blooms remain true white?

I'm planning to order a seed packet this evening and am planning to experiment with a few of them to try to get a few started and get them into the ground to see if they will survive the winter - though I usually start my seeds in late March.

I appreciate any help or comments regarding this plant, thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
althea_gw

I have a white Jupiter's Beard. It's a volunteer that is tough as nails. I haven't cut the flowers for a vase, so I don't know if it re-blooms after cutting.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 8:17PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I did not have any luck with white valerian / centranthus alba, but I was pushing the growing conditions; too much shade and lack of summer heat. I purchased the plant in a 4-inch pot, so no idea how it would have done grown from seed.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:32PM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

And now please get back to the usual madness here...

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 7:06AM
mylab123(z5NW)

Oh, so very sorry! I went hunting in perennials AND annuals and couldn't find my question and wondered if I had posted it here accidently - I see I did - thanks anyway Nancy, I think I will order the seeds and give it a try in one of two tiny beds (shade and sun) I use for plant 'experiments'.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 3:06PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

I'm against it.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 3:26PM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

I have it. It behaves much the same as my other Jupiter's beard. The fact that it was white was a surprise to us and some of the flowers on that plant are pink, but most are white. I have never had any seedlings develop so I have no idea if it crosses or not.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 7:44PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

I stopped growing Jupiter's Beard some years ago because the plant was too agressive/weedy although the white variety less so than the rose colored one.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 12:14AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

I do know that is doesn't tolerate Roundup.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
Swallow This
More another slam than a hot topic! "An Idaho...
labrea_gw
The Universe #2
Just starting up a second thread with mom47's last...
vgkg
Does "Bibi" really desire to communicate ..
...or merely play to the gallery? Communicating implies...
ronalawn82
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
The President has vetoed the Keystone XL Pipeline Bill
Obama vetoes Keystone XL bill "Because this act...
momj47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™