Putting it to sleep

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)October 7, 2011

I'm going to be pulling some things and planting some winter stuff this weekend. We still have a couple of weeks til we get a frost (I hope!)

Any vege beds that I'm not using, I just cover with leaves and grass clippings, then top with perforated cardboard to discourage weeds.

The problem is my new herb bed. The herbs are mostly in pots, surrounded by nasturtiums. I have creeping thyme planted in the ground, and it hasn't spread enough to block out weeds, so how do I block them out without smothering the creeping thyme???? I've been able to keep up with the weeds during the nice weather, but we're surrounded by horse fields and anything not covered gets covered in weeds over the winter. Any thoughts on this? We are in a very windy area, so just pieces of cardboard will blow away.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

I would still use some mulch. Mix with sand if you're concerned about it being too water retentive. Maybe try overlapping multiple sheets of newspaper covered with the mulch & weighed down a bit more with large rocks.

The thyme is so slow growing, so you'll just have to keep up with pulling what sprouts every now & then before the weeds go to seed or get too large.

Corrine

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 12:09PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

They called for frost the last three nights, so I had a very busy week putting it all to bed....Picked and pulled out the last of the cowpeas, cucumbers, tomatoes, and okra; covered up the pole beans with row covers; planted the onions and garlic; and stripped the pepper plants of their fruit, both red and green. Potted up the last of the cuttings from my flower beds, divided tender grasses, potted them up, and brought them inside, finished dividing the daylilies, and pulled out the worst looking annuals. I was feeling very sad, saying farewell to summer...But, No Frost. Yeah! I knew it was too early, but you have to take it seriously anyway.

We ate our first mess of greens this week, and I made the first pot of soup: a winter only dish. We should have another month yet before the season is truly over, but it feels that way now. I put on long pants and a sweater this morning....Come on, spring! :)

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 7:42PM
pskemissy

Donnabaskets, where in MS are you located? I would like to communicate with you as I am also in MS. Look forward to hearing from you.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
Dog yard....sigh
Well, after taking an early retirement, I thought WooHoo,...
nancyjane_gardener
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
New garden design!
It looks like we'll be moving, so I'm looking forward...
lavender_lass
Who's still here?
I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Creme Bell Shade Brushed Nickel Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Stone Mill Oil-rubbed Bronze Rope Cabinet Knobs (Pack of 5)
Overstock.com
Egyptian Cotton 300 Thread Count Queen-size Waterbed Stripe Sheet Set
Overstock.com
'Mom You Mean So Much to Me' Glass Plaque
$14.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Sleep Innovations Bathmats Sandyshore 20 in. x 32
$18.97 | Home Depot
Braided Area Rug: Boston Common Winter Blues 10' x 13'
Home Depot
Grand Isle 8 Drawer Dresser - ADL3980
Hayneedle
Cashmere Bunny Personalized Cowboy Baby Gift Basket - CBGB-NON-PERSONALIZED