Best Training Programs in the US?

lightstaysJanuary 16, 2014

I am a 35-year-old career changer ready to make the leap from teaching high school to garden design. I have dabbled in it for years so I know, more or less, what is involved and, no, I don't expect it to be easy and, yes, I'm ready to invest a few years into getting started. My goal would be to have my own native plant garden business or partner in one.

I'm interest in a certificate program such as the ones offered at NYBG. I live in New York but have plans to relocate to California this spring/summer.

So I'm looking for recommendations for bg's or university extension programs in the Bay Area but I am open to areas outside of the Bay Area as well. There seem to be a host of programs out there but it's difficult to judge them apart online.

I'm looking for affordability, rigor and hopefully the option to complete it in a year.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The availability of garden design courses seems to be closely aligned with regions :-)) The more urban areas of the east coast offer many, as do similar areas on the west coast. And there are quite a few good choices in the Great Lakes areas - Chicago, the twin cities, etc. My suggestion is to look for one in the area YOU wish to relocate to - regionality is always going to play a factor with regards to popular "styles", climate/weather conditions and plant selection.

There is a difference between a career as a garden designer and that of a landscape architect. Garden designers typically focus on residental projects while LA's are often invloved in a wide range of commercial and institutional projects as well as residential. There is a significant difference in training required between the two, so make your choice of career path before you start your education.

While some programs can be completed in a single year, I think you will find that most are two year programs, typically ending with an AA degree. These are often offered via community or technical colleges. These tend to be quite affordable and also flexible in their hours, so that those working a day job can take advantage of them. All are going to offer somewhat similar courses........enough to provide the basic skills. It is important to understand that "book learning" or a structured educational environment is only the beginning - hands-on experience is essential and that is usually only avaiable working in the field as a laborer or apprentice.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
How to register my website DOMAIN name?
Greetings! I am just about ready to start building...
sweetpea_path
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
Sponsored Products
MTI Andrea 19A Freestanding Sculpted Tub (54" x 32" x 21.5")
Modern Bathroom
[How did you want these titled?]!
| Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Nomad Red 3 ft. 6 in. x 5 ft.
Home Depot
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S2222 Tub Spout - S2222CR
$497.92 | Hayneedle
Matrix Ava 6-Light Nickel Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Stacy Garcia Ornament Metal LED Reading Light Plug-In Sconce
Lamps Plus
Elk Lighting 111-1090 Edgewood Table Lamp - 111-1090
$118.00 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Concord Global Trading Rugs Persian
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™