Starting a career??

MissPurpleBasilJanuary 16, 2012

I just graduated with a B.Sc in Biology in California. I love plants and gardening and I would love to be able to work in a nursery or have a job where I can constantly be outdoors and working with plants...

Any suggestions on how I can get into this field?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clfo(z7 with luck)

Apply to local nurseries and garden centers. Apply to local landscapers. Any of those will be hands-on experience. Join groups that you're interested in such as the Perennial Plant Association etc. Attend trade shows. Get on the mailing list for your local Extension Service. There are many grants available from groups such as the PPA for young professionals so be sure to check these out as they could pay your way to meetings. Talk to everyone in the industry you meet.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope(6)

We had a young grad with a B.S. in biology working in a garden center where I worked before starting my own business. It did not prepare her for any of the work we had available and she had a strictly entry level job. I guess I am saying that you need to be prepared for the 'hands on growing plants' part of it, your degree may proved to be disappointing. There are other areas of the industry where it would buy you a professional position and good pay. Why did you decide to major in that, instead of hort? Would you consider going into a different sector of the business like an ag lab, seed or plant industry, inspection, sales?

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Wave Easy Red Petunia
Has anyone grown this plant. This is the first year...
lorraine644
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™